Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can large scale warfare be abolished in the next 100 years?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Aug 5, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By whatever means that you may imagine, is this possible?

I say yes.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2003 #2
    no primarily because it is so easy to break the rules... and the only way to cheat a cheater is to fight fire with fire.

4. Aug 5, 2003 #3
    As soon as we abolish religion and nationalism, we're there!nLet's declare war on war, that should be successful too!

5. Aug 5, 2003 #4
    The only way I see is to completely wipe out the human race. It can definitely be done, but it's not that fun.

Otherwise, I don't think so.

Like Mattius said, it's just too easy for someone to do damage to others. Once someone gets hurt, they want revenge, and it can sometimes escelate to higher levels. If the 'victims' have some form of power, it'll likely be used. Enough power, and it'll become large scale.

So, that would be a yes.

6. Aug 5, 2003 #5
    abolish religon? possible, abolish nationalism? posible, abolish idealism? never

7. Aug 5, 2003 #6
    I think it's all about anger management. Can we learn how to control our anger during peace time, without wanting to take it out on someone else?

8. Aug 5, 2003 #7
    Idealism has little to do with either of the other ideas, so I think it is safe.

9. Aug 5, 2003 #8
    you misinterpreted what i said; what i am saying is that people always have a preferred direction for advancement, and ofcourse not all people agree... Ideology causes more and greater wars than your religon and nationalism.

10. Aug 5, 2003 #9
    Oh, ideology...gotcha, you 'imcompetent slob'.

11. Aug 5, 2003 #10
    idealism and ideology are one by all uses here...

12. Aug 5, 2003 #11
    A large step would be to redistribute the world's wealth evenly, so that there would no longer be "3rd world contries" or a mass of poverty. It's cause and effect. Fanatical religions and dictatorships spring from poverty and lack of options. A dictator comes in and says "hey it's my way or the highway, but my way I will give yout food, and clothes, and a "somewhat viable" economy, and in return you'll follow my ideals no matter ho inhumane, weather they be religious or lacking in moral fiber" you see the same pattern in "gangs". The "gang" offers to take care of you, and in return you fight for them, or sacrifice yourself in the name of the cause. The only difference between gangland and dictatorships is the scale.

I'm not saying it would completely cure the problem, but it would definitely make large strides towards it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  13. Aug 5, 2003 #12
    jep, the killing of thousands because of some ideological higher meaning, nazis, tutsis vs hutus, etc.

Not to mention poverty.

And dehumanisation of oneself and others in the name of groups is causing the most absurd attacks on humankinds.

14. Aug 5, 2003 #13
    i am surprised at the statistics so far.

15. Aug 5, 2003 #14

megashawn

Science Advisor

War for the most part seems incredibly stupid to me. Ok, you piss me off, so I'm coming to your country. I, and my 20,000 troops get there, start shooting your troops, and whoever has the most people left wins.

See, we should get the UN to force a Honor system, and replace guns with Paintball guns.

I mean, it seems that countrys should find a better means of settling disputes. Instead of declaring war, for example, the leaders of the country could battle to the death, or, perhaps a game of cards.

I mean, we're supposed to be modernized, civilized, etc. Seems like we could figure out a better way to achieve things.

On a side note, did you all know that Saddam had actually challenged lil bush and cheney to a duel?

How much money would that have saved us? Lives?

edit: Oh ya, it also seems that with technology advances, it will not really be like war anymore. More like "Robot Wars; Live from Iraq"(or wherever)

Perhaps thats what would end large warfare. One country becomes so advanced that any others would be foolish to oppose it. Really though, unless one group has total domination, I don't think its possible. Even in that scenario, there would be terrorism type acts, riots, etc.

16. Aug 5, 2003 #15

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes. The key is Large Scale, by which I assume is meant on the scale of WWI and WW2 - or even Korea and Vietnam. The countries that can mount warfare on this scale have become thermonuclear powers. I take it that this will prevent their fighting large scale wars agains each other. And fighting against one of the other states will be more like Afghanistan or Iraq. Not large scale.

17. Aug 5, 2003 #16
    War is caused by greed, ego, fear and lack of understanding. These things will not disapear, but we might.

People must understand themselves before they can understand the world around them because in understanding themselves they understand the nature of their perspective. With this they can view the world more clearly for what it is and understand the nature of cause and effect. All action has result, be careful of what actions you cause.

18. Aug 6, 2003 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I really think thats naive. Thats Marx's vision and it depends on EVERY human being on earth being comitted soley to the good of the human race as a whole. Neither the "haves" nor the "have nots" would accept redistribution. The haves (us) would be angry at having to give up our hard earned money. The have nots would be bitter about NEEDING our money and would respond violently to attempts to help them (Somalia). Charity is a nice temporary solution, but charity is NOT a real solution. It doesn't change anything.

19. Aug 6, 2003 #18
    I noticed you didn't quote my WHOLE post which also stated it wasn't a permenant solution, but a good start. There are other ways of approaching the problem. The world's economic system could be redone, embracing a single monetary unit. There's no way to obviously do this without stepping on toes. That's too utopian. There's an old story I heard that everyone in the world was given a bottle cap and told it was worth something. THen someone stole someone else's bottlecap, so then everyone wanted 2. it's human nature. Obivously whatever canada's doing is working, in regards to thier healthcare system, but then you find canadian doctors migrating to the US because there's a cap on doctor's salaries. However what if there weren't anywhere to go to? People would still become doctors. People still become teachers, and it's a low paying, sometimes thankless job.

Bottom line is that we could do it, but not without pissing people off. But if it was say, mandatory to work, and it was policed, and you were gauranteed a certain standard of living for that work, and perhaps there were caps put on wealth, then it would be a less steep approach. I'm sure if there were simple answers, it would have been implimented already.

20. Aug 12, 2003 #19
    Surprise surprise. Not all war comes from religion and nationalism. The war on terror wasn't the fault of Islam so dont go blaming it on religion. It was the fault of a psycopathic freak that started the taliban, which did not follow real islam despite claims, ask an islamic person, they know. And was it caused by nationalism? No. Yes the US united and there was a strong flow of nationalism but that is not what caused the war. What caused the war was an act of terror and the deaths of thousands of civilians. Or will you dispute that too Zero? Abolish religion? What you want peoples right to freedom taken away just because you dont have a religion? ha.

21. Aug 12, 2003 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, I saw that part. I did say charity is a temporary solution, but Marxism is beyond charity. Its not a permanent OR temporary solution - it would make things worse instead of better.

My post was a little unclear in that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?