Can my TV set pick up the CMBR?

• Thread starter Mariko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmbr Set
In summary: CMBR.In summary, the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) has a temperature of 2.7K and is a relic of the Big Bang. It is picked up by TVs when there is no reception, and has a frequency of 8-12 GHz. Most of the sun's radiation is of a much shorter wavelength than the CMBR, but it's so close and bright that it contributes a sizable amount of noise even in the microwave regime.
Mariko
Nice Topic and info Nick! I heard that when you turn your T.V. on and you get that snow or in otherwords no reception that, the T.V. is picking up is acctualy some sort of energy from the Big Bang.. what do you think?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mariko said:
Nice Topic and info Nick!
May I add my support and congrats too - this is excellent!
I heard that when you turn your T.V. on and you get that snow or in otherwords no reception that, the T.V. is picking up is acctualy some sort of energy from the Big Bang.. what do you think?
Would you like to do a little digging on your own Mariko?

Do you know, when a TV set is tuned to station x, what the frequency is of the radio waves it's picking up? You've probably heard of VHF and UHF - do you what they are?

You've no doubt read that the 'cosmic microwave background radiation' (CMBR) pervades the universe, and was 'created' when the universe was only a few hundred thousand years young. You may also have read that it has a 'temperature' of 2.7K. The 'microwave' part gives you a clue as to the frequency , and the 'temperature' to the distribution of the frequency (it's a 'black body').

Putting two and two together ...

Nereid said:
Would you like to do a little digging on your own Mariko?

Yes I would! :biggrin:

Nereid said:
Do you know, when a TV set is tuned to station x, what the frequency is of the radio waves it's picking up? You've probably heard of VHF and UHF - do you what they are?

The radio wave frequency of station X = 8-12 GHz

VHF and UHF are one of the bands that make up the electromagnetic spectrum. Here are the diffrent bands in order starting with the highest frequency:
Gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet, Visible, infrared, microwaves, UHF VHF,Short wave radio and long wave radio

Here is a quick summary of the names we humans have agreed to use for various parts of the radio/microwave spectrum, and http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/DIMES/dimes_spectrum.html is a nice summary of the cosmic microwave background spectrum, including its intensity and where various observations have been made (note that, confusingly, the axes go in opposite directions).

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember attending a popular science lecture a few years back where the speaker said that a small part of static (i.e, "snow") is due to the CMBR.

Berislav said:
I remember attending a popular science lecture a few years back where the speaker said that a small part of static (i.e, "snow") is due to the CMBR.
As it was a popsci lecture, the speaker may not have given any details ... do you think we could work this out for ourselves?

I've moved Mariko's idea forward a bit ... would you like to continue Berislav?

would you like to continue Berislav?

Okay. :)

It is notoriously difficult (if not impossible) to detect the CMBR on Earth. This is because it interferes with other microwave radiation. But that only makes it difficult to determine the exact origin of the signal, not to detect the signal itself, which interfered, of course.

Cosmic noise is a well known phenomena in signal noise research:
Cosmic Noise

As mentioned it the article most of it arises from radiation emmited by the sun and distant stars. This because the Sun's radiation has a longer wave-lenght than the CMBR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmbr

The CMBR has the characteristics of black-body with temparature 2.725 K, while the Sun has the characteristics of a black-body with temparature 6000K (if I recall the temparature correctly).
So a small part of the noise one detects with their television will be from the CMBR.

I will try to find out more about this.

Nereid said:
As it was a popsci lecture, the speaker may not have given any details ... do you think we could work this out for ourselves?

Theoretically, yes, but the difficulty would be in figuring out all of the other sources of noise. Determining the level of the CMB in that frequency range is simply a matter of integrating the blackbody spectrum, but the important thing for answering the question is how it compares to the rest of the static.

Berislav said:
As mentioned it the article most of it arises from radiation emmited by the sun and distant stars. This because the Sun's radiation has a longer wave-lenght than the CMBR

Most of the sun's radiation is of a much shorter wavelength than the CMBR, but it's so close and bright that it contributes a sizable amount of noise even in the microwave regime.

The CMBR has the characteristics of black-body with temparature 2.725 K, while the Sun has the characteristics of a black-body with temparature 6000K (if I recall the temparature correctly).
So a small part of the noise one detects with their television will be from the CMBR.

The temperatures you quoted are right, but that's not enough to determine that the CMB should contribute a small amount relative to the sun (or other sources). You need also to consider proximity, surface area, and directionality (for example, the sun won't contribute at night).

SpaceTiger said:
Most of the sun's radiation is of a much shorter wavelength than the CMBR, but it's so close and bright that it contributes a sizable amount of noise even in the microwave regime.

Yes, of course. :redface:

One can see that by observing Wien's law and the temparatures of the two:
[tex]\lambda=\frac{C}{T}[/tex]
where C is a constant.

1. Can my TV set really pick up the CMBR?

Yes, your TV set can pick up the CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) which is a type of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does my TV set pick up the CMBR?

Your TV set has an antenna that is designed to receive signals in the radio frequency range, which includes the CMBR.

3. Is it harmful to my TV set to pick up the CMBR?

No, the CMBR is a very low energy form of radiation and will not harm your TV set in any way.

4. Can my TV set pick up the CMBR from anywhere in the world?

Yes, the CMBR is present everywhere in the universe and can be picked up by any TV set with an antenna, regardless of location.

5. Can I watch the CMBR on my TV like any other TV channel?

No, the CMBR is not a TV channel and cannot be watched like regular programming. It is a form of background radiation that can only be detected and studied using specialized equipment.