Can Neutrons Collide? - Physics Q&A

• Thread starter jpulizari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrons
In summary, the force interaction between two objects is due to the repulsion of electrons, but when two particles with no charge (such as neutrons) collide, they would scatter due to the small probability of interaction. This is because each neutron is more likely to be absorbed by an atomic nucleus. However, in stellar environments like a neutron star, there are other forces at play, such as magnetic and nuclear forces, that contribute to the interaction between neutrons.
jpulizari
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I am new to physics so forgive my ignorance. I learned in class that when a person touches something, or any two objects touch each other for that matter, the force interaction is actually due to the electrons repelling each other. So I wondered what would happen if two particles with no charge (such as neutrons) collided. Would they actually collide without having opposite forces interacting? Would they pass through each other? It makes me wonder what matter actually is if there is no collision. I asked my professor this question but he didn't have an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
look up 'neutron star' and 'degenerate matter'.

jpulizari said:
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I am new to physics so forgive my ignorance. I learned in class that when a person touches something, or any two objects touch each other for that matter, the force interaction is actually due to the electrons repelling each other. So I wondered what would happen if two particles with no charge (such as neutrons) collided. Would they actually collide without having opposite forces interacting? Would they pass through each other? It makes me wonder what matter actually is if there is no collision. I asked my professor this question but he didn't have an answer. Any help would be appreciated.
Colliding neutrons would scatter. However, the cross-section or probability of such a reaction would be very small, and each neutron would be more likely to collide with an atomic nucleus and be absorbed. Otherwise a free neutron will eventually decay.

Stellar environments like a neutron star are well beyond our experience and capabilities on Earth (manmade) systems.

There are forces between two neutrons besides the Coulomb force. They have magnetic moments, so there is a magnetic force between them, similar to the force between two compass needles. There is also a "nuclear force between them when they get within about 1 fm of each other. This nuclear force is what holds nuclei together.

1. Can neutrons collide with each other?

Yes, neutrons can collide with each other. This is known as a neutron-neutron collision and it occurs when two neutrons come into close proximity to each other.

2. What happens when neutrons collide?

When neutrons collide, they can either scatter off of each other or merge to form a larger nucleus. The outcome of the collision depends on the energy and momentum of the neutrons.

3. Can neutrons collide with other particles?

Yes, neutrons can also collide with other particles such as protons, electrons, and other nuclei. These collisions can result in nuclear reactions and can produce different types of particles.

4. How do scientists study neutron collisions?

Scientists study neutron collisions by using particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions between neutrons and other particles. They also use detectors to measure the energy and direction of the particles produced in the collisions.

5. Why are neutron collisions important?

Neutron collisions are important because they provide insight into the fundamental properties of matter and the structure of the nucleus. They also play a crucial role in nuclear reactions and are used in various applications such as nuclear power, medicine, and research.