B Can new protons be created?

• Thread starter JT Blue
  • Start date
Summary
A question related to protons.
Is it possible to create new protons, or is this ruled out by currently know physical laws?

We routinely do so in particle accelerators like the LHC. It also happens naturally: Beta decay converts neutrons to protons, and collisions of cosmic rays with something have a chance to produce protons (among many other particles).

An important law here is the conservation of baryon number (the most important baryons are proton and neutron): If you produce a proton you must destroy a neutron (or another baryon, in principle) or create an antiproton, antineutron, or other antibaryon to keep the total number of baryons minus antibaryons the same.

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Summary: A question related to protons.

Is it possible to create new protons, or is this ruled out by currently know physical laws?
Quite the reverse. See, for example:

So, far in the future, some possible civilization could postpone their death from proton decay, by creating NEW protons if they had very advanced technology and a lot of energy? Of course they'd eventually run out of energy and die anyway, but, in such a hypothetical scenario, NEW proton creation could be coupled with creating new atoms of some kind and extend their life [with A LOT of very sci-fi-ish engineering, of course].

PS I am just genuinely curious, and am not employed writing any science fiction or anything like that.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
So, far in the future, some possible civilization could postpone their death from proton decay, by creating NEW protons if they had very advanced technology and a lot of energy?
Where is the evidence that protons decay?

Of course they'd eventually run out of energy and die anyway, but, in such a hypothetical scenario, NEW proton creation could be coupled with creating new atoms of some kind and extend their life [with A LOT of very sci-fi-ish engineering, of course].

PS I am just genuinely curious, and am not employed writing any science fiction or anything like that.
I don't quite understand this. Even if we can establish that protons do decay, let's examine what we ALREADY know:

1. The decay rate is extremely slow.
2. We can make protons.

So how is this an issue with "extending lives", considering that no one is alive for THAT long to come into issues with such a decay?

Note that free neutrons decay in about 10 minutes! I don't see you scrambling to make new neutrons, and you haven't disintegrated yet.

Zz.

It doesn't really save you. To create a proton you need more energy than a proton has. You'll just speed up the end of your resources if you try to replace protons by creating new ones instead of using your fuel directly as proton source.

How specifically are new protons created though? I don't know much about these subjects but I find it interesting to learn what I can...if its describable in simple terms, what are the processes to make new protons?

Last edited:

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
How specifically are new protons created though? I don't know much about these subjects but I find it interesting to learn what I can...if its describable in simple terms, what are the processes to make new protons?
Did you miss the post mentioning beta decay?

Zz.

Apart from beta decays: Collide particles at high energies. That creates various new particles, protons are among them if the energy is sufficient.

By "collide particles at high energies", do you mean just high speed, specifically, or is it something else?

Same thing. A particle accelerated to a high energy has a high speed and vice versa.
We use energies as they are a more useful measure than squinting at the number of "9"s in values like 99.999994% or 99.9999991% the speed of light.