Can New Protons Be Created by Accelerating Particles to High Energies?

• B
  • Thread starter JT Blue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating new protons and the processes involved. It is mentioned that protons can be created in particle accelerators and also occur naturally through beta decay and collisions with cosmic rays. The conservation of baryon number is an important law to consider in this topic. It is also mentioned that creating new protons would require a lot of advanced technology and energy. The conversation also touches on the topic of proton decay and how it may not have a significant impact on human life due to the slow decay rate.
JT Blue
TL;DR Summary
A question related to protons.
Is it possible to create new protons, or is this ruled out by currently know physical laws?

Physics news on Phys.org
We routinely do so in particle accelerators like the LHC. It also happens naturally: Beta decay converts neutrons to protons, and collisions of cosmic rays with something have a chance to produce protons (among many other particles).

An important law here is the conservation of baryon number (the most important baryons are proton and neutron): If you produce a proton you must destroy a neutron (or another baryon, in principle) or create an antiproton, antineutron, or other antibaryon to keep the total number of baryons minus antibaryons the same.

JT Blue said:
Summary: A question related to protons.

Is it possible to create new protons, or is this ruled out by currently know physical laws?

Quite the reverse. See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production

So, far in the future, some possible civilization could postpone their death from proton decay, by creating NEW protons if they had very advanced technology and a lot of energy? Of course they'd eventually run out of energy and die anyway, but, in such a hypothetical scenario, NEW proton creation could be coupled with creating new atoms of some kind and extend their life [with A LOT of very sci-fi-ish engineering, of course].

PS I am just genuinely curious, and am not employed writing any science fiction or anything like that.

JT Blue said:
So, far in the future, some possible civilization could postpone their death from proton decay, by creating NEW protons if they had very advanced technology and a lot of energy?

Where is the evidence that protons decay?

Of course they'd eventually run out of energy and die anyway, but, in such a hypothetical scenario, NEW proton creation could be coupled with creating new atoms of some kind and extend their life [with A LOT of very sci-fi-ish engineering, of course].

PS I am just genuinely curious, and am not employed writing any science fiction or anything like that.

I don't quite understand this. Even if we can establish that protons do decay, let's examine what we ALREADY know:

1. The decay rate is extremely slow.
2. We can make protons.

So how is this an issue with "extending lives", considering that no one is alive for THAT long to come into issues with such a decay?

Note that free neutrons decay in about 10 minutes! I don't see you scrambling to make new neutrons, and you haven't disintegrated yet.

Zz.

Likes Motore and PeroK
It doesn't really save you. To create a proton you need more energy than a proton has. You'll just speed up the end of your resources if you try to replace protons by creating new ones instead of using your fuel directly as proton source.

How specifically are new protons created though? I don't know much about these subjects but I find it interesting to learn what I can...if its describable in simple terms, what are the processes to make new protons?

Last edited:
JT Blue said:
How specifically are new protons created though? I don't know much about these subjects but I find it interesting to learn what I can...if its describable in simple terms, what are the processes to make new protons?

Did you miss the post mentioning beta decay?

Zz.

Apart from beta decays: Collide particles at high energies. That creates various new particles, protons are among them if the energy is sufficient.

By "collide particles at high energies", do you mean just high speed, specifically, or is it something else?

Same thing. A particle accelerated to a high energy has a high speed and vice versa.
We use energies as they are a more useful measure than squinting at the number of "9"s in values like 99.999994% or 99.9999991% the speed of light.

1. Can new protons be created?

Yes, new protons can be created through a process called nuclear fusion. This occurs when two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process. Protons can also be created through particle accelerators, where high-energy collisions can produce new particles.

2. How are new protons created in nuclear fusion?

In nuclear fusion, protons combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, such as those found in the core of the sun. As the protons fuse together, they release a tremendous amount of energy, which is what powers the sun and other stars.

3. Can protons be created artificially in a lab?

Yes, protons can be created artificially in a lab through particle accelerators. These machines accelerate particles to high speeds and then collide them with a target material, resulting in the creation of new particles, including protons.

4. Is it possible to create new protons without a particle accelerator?

Currently, the only way to create new protons is through the use of particle accelerators. These machines are needed to provide the high energies and speeds required for nuclear fusion or particle collisions. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring new methods for creating protons without the use of accelerators.

5. Can new protons be created in nature?

Yes, new protons are constantly being created in nature through nuclear fusion in stars. The process of nuclear fusion is responsible for the creation of all elements in the universe, including protons. However, the creation of new protons in nature is a slow and continuous process, unlike the rapid production in particle accelerators.