1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can of paint falling down

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A painter is standing on scaffolding that is raised at constant speed. As he travels upward, he accidentally nudges a paint can off the scaffolding and it falls a distance [H1] to the ground. You are watching, and measure with your stopwatch that it takes a time of [T] for the can to reach the ground. Ignore air resistance. What is the speed of the can just before it hits the ground (final velocity)?

2. Relevant equations

y = Yi + ViyT + 1/2 (AyT^2)

Vy = Viy + AyT

Vy^2 = Viy^2 + 2A(Y-Yi)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive done this problem with each of the given equations and none seem to work. I was given sample values for H1 = 15 meters and T = 3.25
    The answer is suppose to be 20.5 m/s but ive plugged in these numbers a hundred times and gotten several different answers.
    Can someone please tell me what equation to use and how to arrive at 20.5 m/s for final velocity? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to use your first equation for y to find Viy. Then use the second equation to find Vy. Keep all of the signs straight.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

The scaffolding is going up, thus Viy is nonzero. You should be able to figure Viy as you're given T (and H1).

EDIT: I'm too slow.

5. Apr 11, 2007 #4

ssb

and

Thank you so much for this insight. I am going to try it right now

First equation
    -15 = 0 + Viy(3.25) +(1/2)(-9.8)(3.25)^2

Viy = 5881/520

Second equation
    (5881/520) + (-9.8)(3.25) = Vy = -20.5

Whohoo! the number is correct but it looks like I messed up somewhere with the signs because it should be positive. Hrm.... any ideas?

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The paint can IS going down when it hits, right? Wouldn't that be a negative velocity in your coordinates? Besides, the question asks for 'speed'.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. Apr 11, 2007 #6

ssb

:!!) :rofl: :cry:

Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?