Can organometallic act as bases?

• Thread starter Upupumiau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act Bases
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the use of organometallics, specifically the Grignard reagent (MeMgBr), to transform a carbonyl group and open epoxides. The question also mentions a step involving the deduction of the structure of an elongated terminal alkyne and the addition of 1. MeMgBr and 2. Formaldehyde. It is mentioned that organometallics are extremely basic and incompatible with water and alcohols due to their strong basicity. The conversation concludes with the clarification that these compounds act as alkyl anion synthons and can be used as a base in the given synthesis problem.
Upupumiau

Homework Statement

It's a synthesis, dedicated more to carbonyl reactions. However, there is this step where you deduce the structure of an elongated terminal alkyne and then they tell you to add 1. MeMgBr 2. Formaldehyde.

Homework Equations

Usually organometallics are used to transform the carbonyl group into an alcohol, or to open epoxides. I have been checking books and I could not find a reaction between the alkyne triple bond and organometallics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose that since I can't use them to interact with the triple bond, they have to be used as a base. Am I in the right?
miaumiau.jpg

Attachments

• miaumiau.jpg
    miaumiau.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m assuming by “organometallic” here you mean the Grignard reagent (MeMgBr). Grignards essentially act as alkyl anion synthons, meaning that you can treat MeMgBr as Me- for the purposes of this synthesis. And yes, they are extremely basic, which is why they are incompatible with water and alcohols (e.g., pKa of CH4 is somewhere around 50, so the conjugate base CH3- is about as basic as a compound can be).

The same general considerations apply to analogous alkyllithium, alkylzinc, and alkylmercury compounds (among others).

Likes epenguin
Thank you, it really helped.

1. Can organometallic compounds act as bases?

Yes, organometallic compounds can act as bases due to the presence of a metal-carbon bond. This bond is polarized, making the carbon atom more nucleophilic and able to accept protons from acids.

2. How do organometallic bases differ from traditional bases?

Organometallic bases typically have a metal atom or group attached to a carbon atom, while traditional bases are usually organic compounds containing nitrogen or oxygen. Organometallic bases also tend to be stronger and more reactive than traditional bases.

3. What types of reactions can organometallic bases participate in?

Organometallic bases can participate in a variety of reactions, including deprotonation, nucleophilic addition, elimination, and substitution reactions. They are commonly used in organic synthesis, polymerization, and catalysis.

4. Are organometallic bases air and moisture sensitive?

Yes, many organometallic compounds are highly sensitive to air and moisture, which can cause them to degrade or react with oxygen and water. Therefore, they are typically handled and stored under inert conditions.

5. Can organometallic bases be used in biological systems?

Yes, some organometallic compounds have been found to have biological applications, such as metal-based drugs for cancer treatment and organometallic enzymes in certain bacterial and fungal species. However, their potential toxicity and lack of selectivity limit their use in biological systems.