Can People Catch Fire Naturally?

  • Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spontaneous human combustion and its credibility. It is largely believed to be pseudoscience and all known cases have simpler explanations. The difference between spontaneous combustion and flammability is also mentioned. One person brings up the idea that according to quantum physics, there is a possibility of objects not falling down when released, which could potentially apply to SHC. However, it is ultimately not within the scope of the conversation and is left at that.
  • #1
828
13
I would like to ask you whether or not people can caught fire naturally. I remember there was a discussion in the tv but I cannot google it because I don't know correct terms.

Source: Self-made

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4
Wait. Is the original post about spontaneous combustion or simply the flammability of humans? Humans are mostly water, so we tend to smolder, not burn.
 
  • #5
newjerseyrunner said:
Wait. Is the original post about spontaneous combustion or simply the flammability of humans? Humans are mostly water, so we tend to smolder, not burn.

What's the difference?

Thank you.
 
  • #6
mech-eng said:
What's the difference?

Thank you.
Spontaneous human combustion is the idea that under some very unique conditions, humans can simply ignite into ball of flames. This is largely not believed to be possible, and all cases of it seem to have simpler explanations (like them having a heart attack while smoking and having a brandy. Someone has the heart attack, spills the brandy on themselves, dies which causes the cigar to fall out of their mouth onto the brandy.)

Just being flammable means that if you try to use a blowtorch (or a match) to light someone on fire, you could do it. Human beings do burn like anything else biological, but it requires an external source of fuel (gasoline for example.)
 
  • #7
newjerseyrunner said:
Spontaneous human combustion is the idea that under some very unique conditions, humans can simply ignite into ball of flames. This is largely not believed to be possible, and all cases of it seem to have simpler explanations (like them having a heart attack while smoking and having a brandy. Someone has the heart attack, spills the brandy on themselves, dies which causes the cigar to fall out of their mouth onto the brandy.)

Just being flammable means that if you try to use a blowtorch (or a match) to light someone on fire, you could do it. Human beings do burn like anything else biological, but it requires an external source of fuel (gasoline for example.)

One of my instructor used to say that according to quantum physics if you release something, there is a possibility that it might not fall down. There are lots of phenomena in nature and SHC might be possible, too.

Thank you.
 
  • #8
mech-eng said:
There are lots of phenomena in nature and SHC might be possible, too.
Ultimately outside our mission so we'll end here. Thanks!
 

1. Can people spontaneously combust?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that people can spontaneously catch fire without an external source of ignition. Most reported cases of spontaneous human combustion have been debunked and can be attributed to other causes such as smoking, alcohol use, or faulty electrical wiring.

2. Can people catch fire from the sun?

No, people cannot catch fire from the sun. While the sun does emit ultraviolet radiation, it is not strong enough to cause a person to burst into flames. However, prolonged exposure to the sun's UV rays can cause severe burns and increase the risk of skin cancer.

3. Can certain foods or drinks make a person more likely to catch fire?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that any specific foods or drinks can increase a person's risk of catching fire. However, consuming alcohol or other substances can impair judgment and increase the likelihood of accidents or unintentional fires.

4. Is there a specific condition or disorder that can cause a person to catch fire?

No, there is no known condition or disorder that can cause a person to spontaneously catch fire. Some rare medical conditions such as erythromelalgia or erythromelia can cause extreme heat sensations in the body, but they do not lead to actual combustion.

5. Can people catch fire from static electricity?

While rare, it is possible for a person to catch fire from static electricity if certain conditions are met. This usually occurs in industrial settings where there are flammable gases or liquids present. However, in everyday life, the risk of catching fire from static electricity is extremely low.

Suggested for: Can People Catch Fire Naturally?

Replies
12
Views
235
Replies
115
Views
10K
Replies
39
Views
6K
Replies
3
Views
1K
Replies
13
Views
481
Replies
18
Views
2K
Back
Top