Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Photon Accelerate in Vacuum?

1. Apr 1, 2004 #1
    It cannot because the speed of photon is a constant in vacuum. So it also cannot deccelerate in vacuum.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2
    Thank you Capt. Obvious? :smile:

Although it is only the magnitude of the velocity that is constant. Since it is possible to change the direction of the photon, you could say that it can be "accelerated", but the acceleration vector is always perpendicular to the velocity vector.

4. Apr 1, 2004 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In circular motion.

5. Apr 1, 2004 #4
    Or whenever the acceleration changes only the direction of the velocity vector and not its magnitude.

6. Apr 1, 2004 #5
    Linear Acceleration Of A Photon

There seems to be some question as to whether or not a photon can be linearly accelerated.

For a photon:

E = Pc

P = mc

E = mc^2 = hf

m = hf/c^2

Consider the gravitational attraction of two photons separated by a distance R.

F = G m1 m2/R^2

Hence

m1 a = G m1 m2/R^2

Hence

a = G m2/R^2

Hence

a = G hf/c^2R^2

Thus, if there can be action at a distance between two photons, and the Newtonian gravitational force law is correct, and the relativistic equation for energy is correct, and the quantum mechanical relation for photon energy is correct, then a photon can be linearly accelerated.

And if the Newtonian Gravitational Force Law is incorrect, but photons can experience real gravity, a photon will accelerate as it heads towards a sun, because it is being pulled. Indeed, if a photon can experience any force, then it can be accelerated.

7. Apr 1, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sort of "acceleration" is observed as red and blue shifted light. Since the speed of light can vary its wavelength must change.

8. Apr 1, 2004 #7
    Is this the point where the dependent of kinetic energy as a function of velocity

[tex] K.E. = \frac {1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

breaks away to depend on wavelength or frequency?

[tex] Energy = h \nu [/tex]

9. Apr 1, 2004 #8
    Hurkyl,

Thanks you very much.

10. Apr 1, 2004 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Recall that force is defined as F := dp / dτ, not F := m a. Since |p| = hf/c for a photon, we can differentiate p2 to get:

2 p . dp / dτ = (h/c) df / dτ
    or, in other words,

p.F = (h/2c) df / dτ

P.S. I'm using m for rest mass, F and p are 4-vectors, and . for the (Minowski) dot product.

P.P.S. Argh, you replied before I could delete it! I wanted to look up a detail or two. :frown: In particular, I think |p| = hf/c might only be valid for 3-momentum, not 4-momentum. It's been a while since I've done any of this in any detail! Maybe I should've wussed out and done it with 3-vectors!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  11. Apr 1, 2004 #10
    Hurkyl

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?