Need Help with a Question? Check Out My Answer Here!

• Thread starter manal950
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about volume and how it is different between square meters and cubic meters. Specific gravity is a measure of how dense a material is compared to water, and is used to calculate the mass of a substance. Mass is also a measure of how much something weighs, and is used in calculations such as in the example given of determining how much oil is needed to fill a tank. Units work the same in algebra as they do in everyday life, but it's important to be aware of the different units when working with calculations involving mass. Finally, the conversation discusses how dirty the oil in a car's crankcase might be and how someone might be able to tell if it's time to change it.
manal950
Hi ..

How are you all ...

I have a question .. I tried solved

http://store2.up-00.com/Feb12/0Mf90391.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Volume is cubic meters, not square meters which is area.

Specific gravity is the ratio of density of a material to that of water which is 1000kg/cubic meter.

Mass:

M=specific gravity * density of water * volume

mass of tank

M=specific gravity * density of water * volume of oil
= (0.8) (1000) (4)
= 3200kg/m^3

mass of waater : M=density of waterX volume X g[/COLOR]

Here is the volume of water will be 2
1000 X 2 X 9.81
= 19620kg/m^3Total is (3200kg) + (19620kg) = 22820kg/m^3Is ok now ?

Last edited:
manal950 said:
mass of tank

M=specific gravity * density of water * volume of oil
= (0.8) (1000) (4)
= 3200kg/m^3

mass of waater : M=density of waterX volume X g[/COLOR]

Here is the volume of water will be 2
1000 X 2 X 9.81
= 19620kg/m^3

Total is (3200kg) + (19620kg) = 22820kg/m^3

Is ok now ?

Units work just like ordinary algebra. In your first computation for mass of oil you multiply density in kg/m^3 by m^3 yet get kg/m^3. Question requests mass. You have correct number but wrong units.

In your second computation, why do you multiply by g? Your units will be:

(kg/m^3)*m^3*(m/sec^2) which is kg-m/sec^2 which is Newtons.

Pay attention to units. If your units don't jive with what should be your answer, you obviously have an error.

3200 kg , 2000 kg, thus the total is 5200 kg.

what about diagram ?

In your diagram which liquid is oil and which is water? The accuracy of the relative amounts of oil and water could be improved. As your diagram now stands, I do not think the teacher is going to give you much credit for it.

http://www.roo7oman.com/up/files/384678.jpg

see here

Your diagram looks good but if your oil is that dirty, you should change it!

hhhhh how is dirty ?

I was joking. If the oil in the crankcase of your automobile looks that black, you should change it.

hhhhhhhh ...I don't have money to change it . ^)^

1. Can you please check my answer?

Yes, I would be happy to check your answer for you. Please provide me with the question and your answer so I can review it thoroughly.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To determine if your answer is correct, you can compare it to the correct solution or consult with a teacher or expert in the field. It is also helpful to explain your thought process and reasoning behind your answer.

3. Can you explain why my answer is incorrect?

Yes, I can explain why your answer is incorrect. It could be due to a misunderstanding of the question, a calculation error, or a lack of relevant information. I will provide you with feedback and guidance on how to improve your answer.

4. How long will it take for you to check my answer?

The time it takes to check your answer will depend on the complexity of the question and the amount of detail in your answer. I will try to check it as soon as possible, but it may take some time for a thorough review and evaluation.

5. Can you provide me with tips on how to improve my answer?

Yes, I can provide you with tips on how to improve your answer. Some tips may include double-checking your calculations, providing more supporting evidence or explanations, or seeking additional resources for further understanding of the topic.