Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can pure water fluoresce ?

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    Can pure* water be made to fluoresce if illuminated by some particular frequency of Ultra-Violet light ?

[* No chemicals added ]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2
    Sort of.
    Not UV, but microwaves efficiently excite water molecules which then emit higher frequency electromagnetism (infra red)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Jul 3, 2015 #3
    I think it can. If incident UV light has wavelength about 10 nm. The majority of the materials absorbs this wavelength and translate it to heat, then they emit blackbody radiation. But I think blackbody radiation can't be fluorescent radiation .

5. Jul 3, 2015 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you count Cherenkov radiation as fluorescing?

6. Jul 3, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And is 10nm in the UV range ? This question was specifically about incident UV radiation

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. Jul 3, 2015 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jul 3, 2015 #7
    Yes it is. EM wave with wavelength about 10 nm is called Extreme Ultra Violet.

9. Jul 3, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Interesting. I've always thought of that stuff down there as X-rays. They ARE, but you are right that they are also called EUV (I was sure they were not UV). Weird that they have both defintions, but anyway, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook