Fixing Rindler Coordinates when a=0

In summary: If you want another way of looking at it, take the suggestion @Dale made and figure out what the limit of ##\frac{sinh(at)}{a}##, considered as a function of ##a##, is when ##a \rightarrow 0##. An easy way to evaluate the limit is L'Hopital's rule.
Anwyl
TL;DR Summary
Rindler coordinates result in T=0/0 when a=0. Is there a clean way to fix that?
Rindler coordinates are nice, but they fall apart when a=0, where ##T=\frac{sinh(at)}{a}=\frac{0}{0}##. Is there a good way to fix that?

Intuitively I'd want to do out the taylor expansion, divide by a, then collapse it back to... something...

$$T=\frac {\sinh(at)} {a}=\frac{ \sum_{n=0}^\infty {\frac {(at)^{2n+1}}{ (2n+1)!}}} {a} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty {\frac {a^{2n}t^{2n+1}} {(2n+1)!}} = ?$$

Is there any simplification of that taylor expansion to something sane that doesn't result in 0/0?

Is there another approach which might work better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anwyl said:

If ##a = 0## there is no such thing as "Rindler coordinates"; you just have Minkowski coordinates, since you have objects at rest in the coordinates moving inertially (zero proper acceleration). That's what the 0/0 issue is really telling you.

Likes Anwyl
Anwyl said:
Intuitively I'd want to do out the taylor expansion, divide by a, then collapse it back to... something...

For ##n = 0## your expression with ##a = 0## is ##a^0 t^1 / 1! = t##. For ##n > 0## your expression gives zero if ##a = 0##. What does that tell you?

Likes Anwyl
Anwyl said:
Summary: Rindler coordinates result in T=0/0 when a=0. Is there a clean way to fix that?

Just take the limit as a goes to 0.

Likes Anwyl
PeterDonis said:
For ##n = 0## your expression with ##a = 0## is ##a^0 t^1 / 1! = t##. For ##n > 0## your expression gives zero if ##a = 0##. What does that tell you?
If ##a = 0## it gives ##T = t##, which is the desired result, since it should look just like flat Minkowski coordinates in that case.
I'm just hoping for a way of writing it which is clearly ##T = t## when ##a = 0## and ##T = \frac{sinh(at)}{a}## otherwise, without the gap in the domain of the function, or doing something like
##T = \begin{cases}t & a=0 \\ \frac{sinh(at)}{a} & a \neq 0\end{cases}##

Anwyl said:
If ##a = 0## it gives ##T = t##, which is the desired result, since it should look just like flat Minkowski coordinates in that case.

Exactly.

Anwyl said:
I'm just hoping for a way of writing it which is clearly #T = t## when ##a = 0## and ##T = \frac{sinh(at)}{a}## otherwise

I'm confused. Isn't that what you just agreed that your Taylor expansion shows?

If you want another way of looking at it, take the suggestion @Dale made and figure out what the limit of ##\frac{sinh(at)}{a}##, considered as a function of ##a##, is when ##a \rightarrow 0##. An easy way to evaluate the limit is L'Hopital's rule.

Likes Anwyl
PeterDonis said:
I'm confused. Isn't that what you just agreed that your Taylor expansion shows?

Yeah, I think I'm just trying to oversimplify the equation. It works fine with the sum there, but I'm always suspicious when working with infinite sums that I'll do something subtly wrong, and it feels like there should be some elegant continuous function there.

Anwyl said:
it feels like there should be some elegant continuous function there.
Like maybe the limit?

Likes Anwyl

1. What are Rindler coordinates?

Rindler coordinates are a set of coordinates used in the study of general relativity, specifically in the context of accelerated motion. They are named after physicist Wolfgang Rindler and are commonly used to describe the motion of an observer in a uniformly accelerating reference frame.

2. What does it mean when a=0 in Rindler coordinates?

When a=0 in Rindler coordinates, it means that the observer is not experiencing any acceleration and is in a state of rest. This is also known as the inertial reference frame.

3. Why is it important to fix Rindler coordinates when a=0?

Fixing Rindler coordinates when a=0 is important because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of an observer in an inertial reference frame. It also helps us to understand the effects of acceleration on spacetime and the concept of relativity.

4. How do you fix Rindler coordinates when a=0?

In order to fix Rindler coordinates when a=0, we need to make a transformation to the coordinates known as a "boost." This transformation helps us to adjust the coordinates to properly describe the motion of an observer in an inertial reference frame.

5. What are some applications of fixing Rindler coordinates when a=0?

Fixing Rindler coordinates when a=0 has many applications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of general relativity. It helps us to accurately describe the motion of objects in an inertial reference frame, understand the effects of acceleration on spacetime, and make calculations for phenomena such as gravitational waves and black holes.