Can saltwater be desalinated with nanobots?

• Thread starter AL168
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of desalinating saltwater using magnetized water and nanobots. However, it is pointed out that this is not a feasible solution as it would require a source of energy and the technology for saltwater nanobots is not yet available. The idea is also compared to genetically modifying bacteria to bind sodium, but it is uncertain if this would be considered a form of nanobot technology. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to not add new posts to old threads and the thread is closed.
AL168
Here is a challenge,
Can you desalinate saltwater simply by:
1) magnetizing the water (which will change the composition)
2) then using nanobots to separate the compositions.

This will enable inexpensive desalination of salt water, through inexpensive means.
Fresh water is diminishing every day, and we have an abundance of salt water. This means of de-salination will work almost instantly, providing a stream of water continuously without steaming, heating, etc. Has anyone tried it? or is willing to take on the challenge

Engineering news on Phys.org
AL168 said:
Here is a challenge,
I have a better approach: use magic! Then again, this is basically the approach you are proposing :smile:

Likes davenn, phinds and Bystander
Saltwater nanobots have not been made yet. They would rust being robots and all. Snicker.

Likes russ_watters
bhusebye said:
Saltwater nanobots have not been made yet.
Right. I'm pretty sure if I invented nanobots, I'd find another use for them besides desalination.

AL168 said:

1 No, water does not have any special magnetic properties, water subjected to a magnetic field does not change composition.
2 Therefore is not feasible, whatever kind of nanobot you are thinking of.

AL168. Welcome to PF.

Firstly, to desalinate water requires a source of energy. You must buy that energy, or buy something to collect that energy.

The problem is that the NaCl still has an ionic bond and so is neutral when in solution. You would not be able to easily use a magnet to separate the ions from a saline fluid moving through a magnetic field. It takes energy to break that bond and separate the ions.

2) then using nanobots to separate the compositions.[/QUOTE]
If nanobots were used they would need to receive energy to perform the desalination.
It is more probable that a bacteria could be genetically modified to bind sodium in sunlight. Would that be a nanobot?

Likes krater
At some point there certainly is fuzziness,
What really is the difference between a calculated chemical reaction, and a mechanical method that produces the same result.

Al168,

I agree with you. I recently had the same idea and start browsing to get latest technology of nanobots and wonder if there're already applied this technique to desalinate sea water. Perhaps there already research on this topic.
If there any group who in a research in this field, I am interest to join.

Thanks for Al168 for sharing your idea.

AL168 said:
Here is a challenge,

This will enable inexpensive desalination of salt water, through inexpensive means.
Fresh water is diminishing every day, and we have an abundance of salt water. This means of de-salination will work almost instantly, providing a stream of water continuously without steaming, heating, etc.Has anyone tried it? or is willing to take on the challenge

DrClaude said:
I have a better approach: use magic! Then again, this is basically the approach you are proposing :smile:

It is usually not a good idea to add new posts to year-old threads. The original posters are not likely to see the replies or to remember the thread.

Thread closed.

Likes russ_watters

1. Can saltwater be desalinated using nanobots?

Yes, nanobots can be used to desalinate saltwater through a process called nanofiltration. This involves passing the saltwater through a membrane that has tiny pores that only allow water molecules to pass through, leaving behind the salt and other impurities.

2. How do nanobots remove salt from saltwater?

Nanobots use a process called reverse osmosis to remove salt from saltwater. They are programmed to selectively attract and remove the salt molecules from the water, leaving behind fresh and drinkable water.

3. Is desalination with nanobots more efficient than traditional methods?

Yes, desalination with nanobots is more efficient than traditional methods because the nanobots are able to target and remove specific molecules, resulting in a higher purity of water with less energy and resources used.

4. What are the potential benefits of using nanobots for desalination?

Using nanobots for desalination can have several benefits, including increased access to clean drinking water in areas with limited freshwater sources, reduced energy and cost requirements compared to traditional methods, and a more sustainable approach to water treatment.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using nanobots for desalination?

One potential drawback of using nanobots for desalination is the potential for environmental impact, as the nanobots may introduce new materials or chemicals into the water. Additionally, the use of nanotechnology raises ethical concerns and may require careful regulation and monitoring.