Can Laser/Maser Pass Through Tissue without Interacting?

• Thread starter Thiago
  • Start date
In summary, the Masers can penetrate through a large amount of tissue, but they are not as accurate as electronic generators with apropriate antenna running at the same frequency.
Thiago
Can some kind of Laser/Maser pass (not interacting) through a large amount of tissue?

I know that some medical lasers can penetrate over 10cm of tissue, and the visible ones stop almost in the skin surface.

the problem resides (til I've understood) in the problem that penetrating lasers tend to be highly absorbed by water molecules.

Science news on Phys.org

Sure, just chose a wavelength with high transmission through a human. My guess would be radio waves. I don't think radio wave lasers exist though.

Water does absorb a lot of frequencies, but not all of them.

Radio waves lasers exists, but water absorbs radio waves a lot, (thats why radio can't be used by subs)

This was one of my first toughs.

Well, an X-ray laser would work...

I tend to believe that one x-ray laser will cause some kind of harm at the tissue Dave, I really can't explain why (probably some bias of my part), I also don't know if x-ray lasers exists, I know instead that FEL (free-electron lasers) can be tuned in x-ray frequencies.

Do you know some paper about the theme Dave? Tissue related experiences mostly.

Thiago said:
I tend to believe that one x-ray laser will cause some kind of harm at the tissue Dave,
Yes. My bet is that any EM that can pass through a thickness of tissue is also energetic enough to damage it.

Thiago said:
Radio waves lasers exists, but water absorbs radio waves a lot, (thats why radio can't be used by subs)

This was one of my first toughs.

Certainly in the microwave region , but I think with a long enough wave (energy below fundamental rotation transitions) it should pass straight through... wiki: "VLF even penetrates sea-water".

MikeyW,

True, they use VLF, but, I don't know a laser that use this kind of wave, even if it is feasible.

Don't you agree?

Any reason to insist for laser-like solution?
Can't be just some electronics and antenna?

Resolution and accurateness, if it was just pass waves, any thing like pet scan or tomography would suffice.

Thiago said:
Resolution and accurateness, if it was just pass waves, any thing like pet scan or tomography would suffice.
Can you explain what is more accurate in maser than in electronic generator with apropriate antenna running at the same frequency? Or what is more acurate in red light made with laser than with LED? And what maser does more than 'just passing waves'?

Thiago said:
why do you ask that kind of question? it's like if I've asked if a plane can travel the Atlantic? and instead of answering it you ask me why don't I go by boat?

Yeah. Maybe it is not a best metaphore, but if we live in 1920, and I would get impression that your goal is to get quickly to New York, I would wonder why you ask about airplanes, rather than thinking about steamliners or maybe zeppelines.

If you think about some kind of imaging, like you may get using optical coherence tomography, you should rather forgot about masers and hypothetic radio-lasers running at 100kHz frequencies.
You require wavelengths smaller than desired resolution of your imaging. OCT (as says the wiki page you quote) resolution is 10 times worse than wavelength. Theoretical limit is wavelength.

Such requirement redefines your original question: only waves of wavelenghts of 1mm or less should be considered.

Ok I understood.

But let's go one problem at time. first I need to know if there is some kind of laser that can penetrate tissue without causing any harm.

I suppose I made a mistake radio-wave laser don't exist. Sorry.

I still don't understand why you insist on laser-like solution. The resolution gain comparing to "classical" sources is not big, while restricts you to very limited range of frequencies.

Sub-milimeter microwaves won't penetrate body deeper than few mm, the same for visual band and ultraviolet. Only remaining band are X-rays and up (gamma), which, at low intensity do little harm. X-ray tomography is considered safe.

the reason was that I was thinking in holograph (the real one not the movie one), then I remembered that we need one reflex of a laser, but I'm wondering if we can reconstruct the img with a laser that passed trough some thing, them since we use tomography i thought if it wouldn't be cool to have one holo of our heart ^^

If it's possible, I want my share in the patent^^

TeraHz imaging systems penetrate tissue and are non-ionising
42 patents - most still applications are owned by Teraview.

1. Can laser/maser pass through tissue without interacting?

The short answer is no. Both laser and maser (microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are forms of electromagnetic radiation that interact with matter, including tissue. However, the extent of interaction depends on various factors such as the wavelength of the radiation and the properties of the tissue.

2. How does the wavelength of the radiation affect its interaction with tissue?

The wavelength of the radiation determines the amount of energy it carries. Shorter wavelengths, such as those in the ultraviolet and X-ray regions, have higher energy and are more likely to interact with tissue at the atomic level, causing damage. On the other hand, longer wavelengths, such as those in the infrared and radio frequency regions, have lower energy and are less likely to cause damage to tissue.

3. What are the properties of tissue that affect its interaction with laser/maser?

Tissue has various properties that can affect its interaction with laser/maser, such as its composition, density, and water content. For example, tissue with high water content, such as muscle, is more likely to absorb radiation than tissue with lower water content, such as bone. Additionally, tissue with high density, such as bone, can scatter or reflect radiation more than tissue with lower density, such as fat.

4. Can the power or intensity of the laser/maser affect its interaction with tissue?

Yes, the power or intensity of the radiation can affect its interaction with tissue. Higher power or intensity means more energy is delivered to the tissue, which can increase the chance of interaction and potential damage. However, the exact effect depends on the specific properties of the tissue and the type of radiation being used.

5. Are there any medical applications where laser/maser can pass through tissue without interaction?

Yes, there are some medical applications where laser/maser can pass through tissue without significant interaction. For example, in laser surgery, specific wavelengths of laser can be used to cut or cauterize tissue without damaging surrounding tissue. Additionally, low-power lasers can be used for therapeutic purposes, such as stimulating tissue repair, without causing significant damage. However, it is important to note that even in these cases, there is still some level of interaction between the radiation and tissue.