1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can some one just check my work

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    can some one just check my work plz

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

model rocket of mass .250 kg is launched vertically with an engine that is ignited at time= 0, the engine provides 20 N.s impulse by firing for 2 sec . upon reaching its maximum hight the rocket deploys a parachute and then desends vertically to the ground.

a) find acceleration during the 2sec firing
    b) what will be the max hight
    c) at what time after t=0 will the max hight be reached

2. Relevant equations

impulse or change in momentum = F x t ..... sumFy = ma = F*engine* - F *gravity* or mg
    change in y = v inital x t + 1/2 a t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

using first equation---> F t = change p ---> F 2 = 20 --> F= 10 N
    then second equation F *motor* = ma + mg ---> after you solve for F*motor that is *
    10=(.250)a+(.25)(9.81)----> a= 30.19 m/s^2

that was for part A of the question and for part C

i found velocity using p=mv final - mv inital ---> 20= (.25)v -0 since it starts from rest ----> velocity = 80 m/s

then i used the equation Vf^2 = V init ^2 + 2 a change y ----> 6400= 2(30.19) change y , since v init was 0 it cancels ----> and got change in y = 105.995 m

for D

i used the formula: delta y =( velocity init ) ( time) + 1/2 (acceleration ) (time^2) ---> 105.995= 1/2 (30.19) (time^2) since velocity init was 0 that part cancels ----> t= 2.65 s, and it would make sense because its after 2 s

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    Re: can some one just check my work plz

Why are you using impulse? This looks to be a straight-forward kinematics question, you should just use your Newtonian kinematics equations:

[tex]
    y=v_{y0}t+\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v_{yf}^2=v_{y0}^2+2a_y(y-y_0)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v_{yf}=v_{y0}+a_yt
    [/tex]

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3

well because in the question it gives you impulse....

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

Right...seemed to have skipped over that word.

So

[tex]
    \mathbf{F}_{eng}\Delta t=\Delta p\rightarrow \mathbf{F}_{eng}=10 \mathrm{N}
    [/tex]

I agree here. But I get

[tex]
    \sum\mathbf{F}=\mathbf{F}_{eng}-\mathbf{F}_{grav}=m\mathbf{a}\rightarrow \mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}\left(\mathbf{F}_{eng}-\mathbf{F}_{grav}\right)=\frac{1}{0.25}\left(10-9.8\right)=0.8 \mathrm{m/s^2}
    [/tex]

6. Oct 31, 2009 #5

well i actually asked my physics teacher and he said i got A right so acceleration is 30.2 but i got B and C wrong...... he gave me the right answers for B (246m) and C (8.15s) so the thing right now is to figure out what i did wrong in B and C

7. Oct 31, 2009 #6

Hmm....I get different answers than your teacher, particularly on the time part.

This is how I went about solving it:
    The height of the rocket immediately after the engine burns out is given by

[tex]
    y_b=at^2=(30.2)(2)^2=120.8\,\mathrm{m}
    [/tex]

The velocity at this point is given by

[tex]
    v_b=v_0+at=0+30.2\cdot2=60.4\,\mathrm{m/s}
    [/tex]

So at the end of the engine burn, the rocket has total energy

[tex]
    E=K+U=\frac{1}{2}mv_b^2+mgy_b=752\,\mathrm{J}
    [/tex]

At the maximum height, the particle has zero velocity but through the conservation of energy, it has the same energy:

[tex]
    E=U=mgy_{max}=752\rightarrow y_{max}=307\,\mathrm{m}
    [/tex]

The total time of this is then given by

[tex]
    y_{max}=at^2\rightarrow t=\sqrt{\frac{y_{max}}{a}}= \sqrt{\frac{307}{30.2}}=3.2\,\mathrm{s}
    [/tex]

Even using your teacher's result of 246 m for [itex]y_{max}[/itex] gives me a value of 2.85 s; however if you forget to take the square root of this number, you do get 8.15 (that is, if you say [tex]t=y_{max}/a=246/30.2=8.15[/itex], but this is not correct).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook