Model Rocket Launch: Impulse, Max Height, and Descent Explained

In summary, the model rocket reaches its maximum height at 2.65 seconds after launch, and has a velocity of 80 m/s at that point.
robair
can some one just check my work please

Homework Statement

model rocket of mass .250 kg is launched vertically with an engine that is ignited at time= 0, the engine provides 20 N.s impulse by firing for 2 sec . upon reaching its maximum hight the rocket deploys a parachute and then desends vertically to the ground.

a) find acceleration during the 2sec firing
b) what will be the max hight
c) at what time after t=0 will the max hight be reached

Homework Equations

impulse or change in momentum = F x t ... sumFy = ma = F*engine* - F *gravity* or mg
change in y = v inital x t + 1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

using first equation---> F t = change p ---> F 2 = 20 --> F= 10 N
then second equation F *motor* = ma + mg ---> after you solve for F*motor that is *
10=(.250)a+(.25)(9.81)----> a= 30.19 m/s^2

that was for part A of the question and for part C

i found velocity using p=mv final - mv inital ---> 20= (.25)v -0 since it starts from rest ----> velocity = 80 m/s

then i used the equation Vf^2 = V init ^2 + 2 a change y ----> 6400= 2(30.19) change y , since v init was 0 it cancels ----> and got change in y = 105.995 m

for D

i used the formula: delta y =( velocity init ) ( time) + 1/2 (acceleration ) (time^2) ---> 105.995= 1/2 (30.19) (time^2) since velocity init was 0 that part cancels ----> t= 2.65 s, and it would make sense because its after 2 s

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

robair said:

Homework Statement

model rocket of mass .250 kg is launched vertically with an engine that is ignited at time= 0, the engine provides 20 N.s impulse by firing for 2 sec . upon reaching its maximum hight the rocket deploys a parachute and then desends vertically to the ground.

Homework Equations

impulse or change in momentum = F x t ... sumFy = ma = F*engine* - F *gravity* or mg
change in y = v inital x t + 1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

using first equation---> F t = change p ---> F 2 = 20 --> F= 10 N
then second equation F *motor* = ma + mg ---> after you solve for F*motor that is *
10=(.250)a+(.25)(9.81)----> a= 30.19 m/s^2

Why are you using impulse? This looks to be a straight-forward kinematics question, you should just use your Newtonian kinematics equations:

[tex]
y=v_{y0}t+\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2
[/tex]

[tex]
v_{yf}^2=v_{y0}^2+2a_y(y-y_0)
[/tex]

[tex]
v_{yf}=v_{y0}+a_yt
[/tex]

well because in the question it gives you impulse...

robair said:
well because in the question it gives you impulse...

Right...seemed to have skipped over that word.

So

[tex]
\mathbf{F}_{eng}\Delta t=\Delta p\rightarrow \mathbf{F}_{eng}=10 \mathrm{N}
[/tex]

I agree here. But I get

[tex]
\sum\mathbf{F}=\mathbf{F}_{eng}-\mathbf{F}_{grav}=m\mathbf{a}\rightarrow \mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}\left(\mathbf{F}_{eng}-\mathbf{F}_{grav}\right)=\frac{1}{0.25}\left(10-9.8\right)=0.8 \mathrm{m/s^2}
[/tex]

well i actually asked my physics teacher and he said i got A right so acceleration is 30.2 but i got B and C wrong... he gave me the right answers for B (246m) and C (8.15s) so the thing right now is to figure out what i did wrong in B and C

robair said:
well i actually asked my physics teacher and he said i got A right so acceleration is 30.2 but i got B and C wrong... he gave me the right answers for B (246m) and C (8.15s) so the thing right now is to figure out what i did wrong in B and C

Hmm...I get different answers than your teacher, particularly on the time part.

This is how I went about solving it:
The height of the rocket immediately after the engine burns out is given by

[tex]
y_b=at^2=(30.2)(2)^2=120.8\,\mathrm{m}
[/tex]

The velocity at this point is given by

[tex]
v_b=v_0+at=0+30.2\cdot2=60.4\,\mathrm{m/s}
[/tex]

So at the end of the engine burn, the rocket has total energy

[tex]
E=K+U=\frac{1}{2}mv_b^2+mgy_b=752\,\mathrm{J}
[/tex]

At the maximum height, the particle has zero velocity but through the conservation of energy, it has the same energy:

[tex]
E=U=mgy_{max}=752\rightarrow y_{max}=307\,\mathrm{m}
[/tex]

The total time of this is then given by

[tex]
y_{max}=at^2\rightarrow t=\sqrt{\frac{y_{max}}{a}}= \sqrt{\frac{307}{30.2}}=3.2\,\mathrm{s}
[/tex]

Even using your teacher's result of 246 m for [itex]y_{max}[/itex] gives me a value of 2.85 s; however if you forget to take the square root of this number, you do get 8.15 (that is, if you say [tex]t=y_{max}/a=246/30.2=8.15[/itex], but this is not correct).

1. What is the purpose of having someone check my work?

The purpose of having someone check your work is to ensure accuracy and to catch any errors that may have been overlooked. It also allows for a fresh set of eyes to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement.

2. Who should I ask to check my work?

You can ask anyone who has knowledge or expertise in the subject matter of your work. This can be a colleague, mentor, or supervisor.

3. How should I approach someone to check my work?

It is important to approach someone with respect and gratitude for their time and expertise. Explain the purpose of why you are asking them to check your work and be open to their feedback and suggestions.

4. When is the best time to have someone check my work?

The best time to have someone check your work is before submitting it for review or publication. This allows for any necessary changes to be made and for your work to be presented in the best possible way.

5. How do I handle feedback or suggestions from someone who checked my work?

It is important to approach feedback with an open mind and to consider all suggestions. If you have any questions or concerns about the feedback, it is best to have a respectful conversation with the person who checked your work to gain a better understanding of their perspective.