Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can somebody explain me this?

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    I took an engine from computer's ventilator and I have moved it along the axis of possible rotation (it was not rotating). Nothing happened. I was moving it along the straight line. When the engine was working and rotating, something weird happened, 'cause the engine did everything not to move along the axis (it turned its possition, its axis was almost prependicular to the direction of the movement).
    Please explain me this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2
    If the fan was still on, I think you discovered the windmill.
  4. Mar 17, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

No, I think he discovered the gyroscope.
  5. Mar 17, 2007 #4
    Yes, may be rss_watters is right. I did not understood well the description.
  6. Mar 18, 2007 #5
    You all know the idea of helicopters. What happens if the tail of the helicopter is endlessly long? That's the idea I would like You to explain me. What physics rule in this case? Will the back propeller have any resistance to move? Give me please some mathematics.
  7. Mar 18, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

Sorry. I know english is a second language here, but your question isn't making much sense. The tail rotor on a helicopter is used to counteract the torque created by the main rotor. If the tail boom were very long, that would, theoretically require very little force from the tail rotor to produce an equivilent counter tourque. Of course there are NUMEROUS other problems involved with having a very long tail boom, but that is in the realm of reality, not theory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?