Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can somebody explain to me this integrodifferential equation?

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    It's a volterra equation with a continous delay

*I is negative infinity, couldn't figure out how to write it

[tex]
    \dot{x} = rx(t)[1 - K^-1\int_{I}^{t} k(t-s)x(s)\,ds]
    [/tex]

The part in parenthesis is the density dependent factor, but I don't understand how the integral works exactly. I know the function k(t) is a weightfactor which says how much weight should be given to past populations.

So let's see if I get it, feel free to yell at me (AKA reply in CAPS) if I am wrong.

k(t-s)x(s) is same as the function k(t) shifted to the right by s multiplied by a scalar (here x(s) represents a population at time t=s).
    Thus the integral is just gonna be the summation of all these functions from initial up to current time. This is gonna be a function in 't'.

If the max of the kernel occurs at zero then there is almost no delay, right?
    Cuz it follows that, say, k(t-s)x(s) will contribute the most to the resulting integral when s=t=now.

On the other hand, if max is at t=T then the major contributor will be when t-s = T, or s = t-T, that is, T generations ago.

If anybody wants to add/correct anything, feel more than free. =)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted