Can somebody name every type of STD

• Thread starter Therian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, there are several types of STDs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, HPV, HIV, and hepatitis. These diseases are transmitted through sexual contact and can have serious health consequences if left untreated. It is important to practice safe sex and get tested regularly to prevent the spread of STDs.
Therian
Can somebody name every type of STD because I wanted to get tested for all of them just in case I had any. I guess STDs are different from other diseases because they're only transmitted during sex or something? If people are going to get tested for HIV/Aids they need to be tested twice for accurate results right?

Apparently this is the full list of STDS:

Amebiasis
* Bacterial Vaginosis
* Campylobacter Fetus
* Candidiasis
* Chancroid
* Chlamydia
* Condyloma Acuminata
* Cytomegalovirus
* Enteric Infections
* Genital Mycoplasmas
* Genital Warts (HPV)
* Giardiasis
* Gonorrhea
* Granuloma Inguinale
* Hepatitis (Serum and others?)
* Herpes
* HIV Disease
* Lymphogranuloma Venereum
* Molluscum Contagiosum
* Pediculosis Pubis
* Pubic Lice (Crabs)
* Salmonella
* Scabies
* Shingellosis
* Syphilis
* Trichomoniasis
* Yeast Infection
* Vaginitis

What other ways can you get these, and has anyone/will anyone actually get tested for all of them?

Also, which ones are treatable/curable (Without just a lack of symptoms) and which ones arent?

Are people born with any of them? (By having them transmitted through the mother)

Do you think high schools should have mandatory testing for STDs?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Therian said:
Can somebody name every type of STD because I wanted to get tested for all of them just in case I had any. I guess STDs are different from other diseases because they're only transmitted during sex or something? If people are going to get tested for HIV/Aids they need to be tested twice for accurate results right?

Apparently this is the full list of STDS:

Amebiasis
* Bacterial Vaginosis
* Campylobacter Fetus
* Candidiasis
* Chancroid
* Chlamydia
* Condyloma Acuminata
* Cytomegalovirus
* Enteric Infections
* Genital Mycoplasmas
* Genital Warts (HPV)
* Giardiasis
* Gonorrhea
* Granuloma Inguinale
* Hepatitis
* Herpes
* HIV Disease
* Lymphogranuloma Venereum
* Molluscum Contagiosum
* Pediculosis Pubis
* Pubic Lice (Crabs)
* Salmonella
* Scabies
* Shingellosis
* Syphilis
* Trichomoniasis
* Yeast Infection
* Vaginitis

What other ways can you get these, and has anyone/will anyone actually get tested for all of them?
It is very doubtful anyone will be tested for all of these as they are so varied.

Also, which ones are treatable/curable (Without just a lack of symptoms) and which ones arent?
Most of these are curable, or at least treatable. I've never heard of salmonella or hepatitis as an STD, but I know at least serum hepatitis could be transmitted this way. (hepatitis affects the liver) I don't consider scabies or lice to be STD's either. Normal physical contact transmits them, not specifically the act of sex.

Are people born with any of them? (By having them transmitted through the mother)
Herpes can be transmitted to a newborn if the mother has an active infection. HIV can also be passed on. Not sure about the others.

Do you think high schools should have mandatory testing for STDs?
It would be a good idea, but since they are minors and a lot of parents refuse to believe that their children are sexually active, it probably won't happen.

You need to talk to your doctor. They usually will test according to symptoms. Here in the US, insurance may not pay for tests without symptoms, not sure where you live.

Last edited:
if you have never had symptoms, and have gone to the dr. regularly, i don't see why you would possibly want to get tested for every std...

and even if you wanted to, how could you? if you're female, then i guess cultures could be done but what's the point? each test is very specific, and expensive...the non-viral std's are simply treated with antibiotics or antifungals (depending upon which std it is), so why not just go ahead and take those medications if it bothers you that much.

I got the list from here:

http://www.healthac.org/stdlist.html

I've never had symptoms or anything, I guess I just wanted to find out more.

Should there be any more STDs added to the list?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Therian said:
I got the list from here:

http://www.healthac.org/stdlist.html

I've never had symptoms or anything, I guess I just wanted to find out more.

Should there be any more STDs added to the list?

Thanks

i wouldn't worry about it...most non-viral stds are harmless (if treated) anyway.

you would easily be looking at >$10,000 in testing

Last edited by a moderator:
Therian said:
Can somebody name every type of STD because I wanted to get tested for all of them just in case I had any.
Most can be out ruled based on symptoms (or the lack of them). Some are hard to diagnose so you can ask for a check up. Ask your doctor what is included.

Evo said:
Most of these are curable, or at least treatable. I've never heard of salmonella or hepatitis as an STD

As you mention Hepatitis B can be transmitted sexually and it is consider one of the common STD. It probably to most likely route of infection since you would require either blood transfution in other cases.

Salmonella would transmitted due to fecal contamination. There several other bacteria and protozoan that are transmitted due to fecal contamination.

Therian, I would also guess that you wouldn't have to be tested for every STD, as some occur in women only (such as vaginitis). Please correct me if I am wrong though!

Kerrie said:
Therian, I would also guess that you wouldn't have to be tested for every STD, as some occur in women only (such as vaginitis). Please correct me if I am wrong though!
I think the bacteria or yeast can be transmitted though the male and cause re-current infections if the male isn't treated at the same time as the female, but it is not a recommended routine treatment.

They are all basically right that you don't need to worry about the tests without the symptoms, except for an HIV test. This is important because you won't have symptoms until you actually have AIDs and it's too late. You could also spread it to people without knowing so I would recommend at least an occasional HIV test to people who really get around alot. They have home pregnancy tests and home drug tests now, do they or will they one day have home HIV tests?

As far as Hepatitus B, you should be immunized/inoculated and if not you may want to consider it.

In terms of requiring tests in high schools, I think that is a bad idea. They already are trying to get drug tests implemented in school and I think this sends a bad message to the kids who don't have these problems.

edit: Nevermind this paragraph I just deleted it was wrong

It really would be a waste to get tested for EVERY one of those, especially since C. fetus is a disease common to cattle. Only immunocompromised people are likely to be susceptible to that infection.

Some of those on your list aren't sexually transmitted diseases, but can spread through casual skin contact: scabies and Mulluscum contagiosum (I had to look that one up as I never heard of it http://dermatology.cdlib.org/92/reviews/molluscum/diven.html). While crabs is typically considered sexually transmitted, it can also be passed the same way any lice can be passed, such as through sharing towels. And yeast infections can develop without sexual contact, such as following antibiotic treatments that kill off the bacteria that keep the yeast in check or wearing damp clothing, such as bathing suits, too long, although they can be spread via sexual contact. I've definitely never heard of salmonella being a sexually transmitted disease (maybe if you're a chicken it is, but it's a food-borne disease in humans). Shigellosis (not shingellosis) is one of those bacteria transmitted via unsanitary food preparation (when food becomes contaminated by fecal matter, either carried by flies or from food handlers who don't wash their hands :yuck:). Giardiasis is an intestinal disease spread usually via contaminated water (including swimming pools and hot tubs), and through sources such as dirty diapers (changing a baby infected with it) or dirty diaper changing tables (day care workers are pretty high risk for catching this)...you'd know if you had this because it's a diarrheal disease.

If you're concerned that you've had unprotected or otherwise risky sexual contact, discuss it with your doctor. If you are asymptomatic for anything, your doctor will likely choose to only test you for a few of the most common STDs that more frequently produce asymptomatic infections (i.e., chlamydia) or that are dangerous to diagnose late (i.e., syphilis). There'd be little reason to test for something like Granuloma inguinale if you live in the US and have no symptoms or contact with anyone from the tropics, as there are only about 100 cases reported in the US per year. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000636.htm
Granuloma inguinale is a bacterial disease caused by the organism Calymmatobacterium granulomatis. The disease is commonly found in tropical and subtropical areas such as Southeast India, Guyana, and New Guinea, but it occurs on occasion in the United States, typically in the Southeast. There are approximately 100 cases reported per year in the United States.

Moonbear said:
I've definitely never heard of salmonella being a sexually transmitted disease (maybe if you're a chicken it is, but it's a food-borne disease in humans). Shigellosis (not shingellosis) is one of those bacteria transmitted via unsanitary food preparation (when food becomes contaminated by fecal matter, either carried by flies or from food handlers who don't wash their hands :yuck:). Giardiasis is an intestinal disease spread usually via contaminated water (including swimming pools and hot tubs), and through sources such as dirty diapers (changing a baby infected with it) or dirty diaper changing tables (day care workers are pretty high risk for catching this)...you'd know if you had this because it's a diarrheal disease.

I'll agree that some of the organism listed are not that common but there is litterature on it. You also have to count anal-oral route and anal-vaginal/penis route for people that do not have protection or may not use the best hygene strategies. There's usually a few example of more frequent infection in some introduction microbiology or medical microbiology books.

Salmonella infection:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12830419&query_hl=2

Shigella infection
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15307964&query_hl=8

Protoza
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...med&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=197277&query_hl=8

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2011632&query_hl=12

If anybody reads german
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3893964&query_hl=2

Last edited:
I think candidiasis is another word for/manifestation of yeast infection (a more specific diagnosis indicating the Candida genus, and possibly - not sure - indicating a systemic infection which means it has progressed past an early stage and is infecting multiple organs within your body.)

Candidiasis could be transmitted sexually or otherwise, example you may carry some Candida in your intestines "normally," and antibiotics that kill off your normal gut bactiera can allow the Candida to flourish.

pattylou said:
I think candidiasis is another word for/manifestation of yeast infection (a more specific diagnosis indicating the Candida genus, and possibly - not sure - indicating a systemic infection which means it has progressed past an early stage and is infecting multiple organs within your body.)

Candidiasis could be transmitted sexually or otherwise, example you may carry some Candida in your intestines "normally," and antibiotics that kill off your normal gut bactiera can allow the Candida to flourish.

Diabetics also are susceptible to Candida infection, at least when the diabetes is uncontrolled.

iansmith said:
I'll agree that some of the organism listed are not that comment but there is litterature on it. You also have to count anal-oral route and anal-vaginal/penis route for people that do not have protection or may not use the best hygene strategies. There's usually a few example of more frequent infection in some introduction microbiology or medical microbiology books.

I would argue that any communicable disease can be transmitted during intimate contact associated with sex, but that doesn't make it a sexually transmitted disease. An STD would be something that isn't likely to spread by any other means aside from sexual contact. Afterall, if you caught the flu from your sexual partner, would you call flu a sexually transmitted disease?

1. What are the different types of STDs?

There are more than 20 types of STDs, but some of the most common ones include chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus (HPV), herpes, and HIV.

2. What are the symptoms of STDs?

Symptoms vary depending on the specific STD, but some common symptoms include genital sores or blisters, pain or discomfort during urination, abnormal discharge, and flu-like symptoms.

3. How are STDs transmitted?

STDs can be transmitted through sexual contact, including vaginal, anal, and oral sex. They can also be passed from an infected mother to her baby during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.

4. Can you get an STD from kissing?

While some STDs, such as herpes and HPV, can be transmitted through kissing, it is less common than through sexual contact. However, if one partner has an open sore or wound in their mouth, the risk of transmission increases.

5. How can I prevent getting an STD?

The best way to prevent getting an STD is to practice safe sex, including using condoms and getting tested regularly. It is also important to limit the number of sexual partners and avoid sharing needles or other drug equipment.

Back