Can someone calculate a fun probability for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a character winning the lottery with supposedly "cursed" numbers and then being stranded on an island where the numbers hold significance. The odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 13,983,816, and the Earth's surface area is 196,935,000 square miles. It is then calculated that on a 50 square mile island, there would be at least 4 tickets with matching coordinates to the winning numbers. This gives the odds of ending up at the same coordinates as the winning numbers to be 1 in 3,495,954. The group agrees that this is highly improbable and no one challenges this calculation.
dontbelievthebull
Hello all,
I have been involved in a discussion on another forum about the TV show Lost. For those who haven't seen it a character (Hurley) wins the lottery with numbers that are supposedly 'cursed' and ends up stranded on an island. It turns out that the island is actually all about these particular numbers in various ways.

Someone is saying that this is just a highly improbable event. I would like to show exactly how improbable.

The odds that I found for winning a 6 number lottery are 1 in 13,983,816, although Hurley's jackpot was over 100 million so the odds are actually much less I'm sure but I couldn't find a stat for this.

The Earth has a surface area of 196,935,000 square miles.

If we say that the island is 50 square miles, and use the lottery numbers as the coordinents for it, is it possible to calculate what the odds are for ending up at the same cooridinents as the numbers used to win the lotto?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dontbelievthebull said:
Hello all,
I have been involved in a discussion on another forum about the TV show Lost. For those who haven't seen it a character (Hurley) wins the lottery with numbers that are supposedly 'cursed' and ends up stranded on an island. It turns out that the island is actually all about these particular numbers in various ways.
Someone is saying that this is just a highly improbable event. I would like to show exactly how improbable.
The odds that I found for winning a 6 number lottery are 1 in 13,983,816, although Hurley's jackpot was over 100 million so the odds are actually much less I'm sure but I couldn't find a stat for this.
The Earth has a surface area of 196,935,000 square miles.
If we say that the island is 50 square miles, and use the lottery numbers as the coordinents for it, is it possible to calculate what the odds are for ending up at the same cooridinents as the numbers used to win the lotto?

Lets say there are 13,983,816 different lottery tickets and that each is keyed to an equal-sized part of Earth such that the entire surface is covered. This gives about 14 square miles per ticket. Thus on a 50 square mile island, there would be at least 4 tickets that would be keyed there, usin your figure for Earth's surface area. This gives 4/13,983,816 = 1/3,495,954.

Wow that actually makes a lot of sense. I never would expect the odds of this to be more likely than that of winning the lotto alone.

Anyone challenge this?

Last edited:

1. What is a fun probability?

A fun probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring in a game, activity, or scenario that is entertaining and enjoyable.

2. How is fun probability calculated?

Fun probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Can fun probability be used in real life situations?

Yes, fun probability can be used in real life situations such as predicting the outcome of a sports game, winning a raffle, or guessing the number of jellybeans in a jar. It adds an element of excitement and entertainment to everyday events.

4. Is fun probability different from regular probability?

Yes, fun probability differs from regular probability in that it is used in situations that are more for entertainment purposes rather than serious or practical purposes. It also tends to involve more subjective and variable factors.

5. Can someone who is not a mathematician calculate fun probability?

Yes, anyone can calculate fun probability as long as they have a basic understanding of probability concepts and the necessary information about the event or scenario in question. It can also be a fun and educational activity for people of all ages.