1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can someone check if my derivative of this log function is correct? (exam in 6 hours)

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]y = \log_{2}(x^2 + 1)
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I think the pattern is:

[tex]
    \frac{d}{dx}[\log_{b}(x)] = \frac{1}{x ln(b)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]
    y\prime = \frac{2x}{(x^2+1)ln(2)}[/tex]

I did this by applying the pattern (that may or may not be correct) and then chain ruling the middle. If this is correct, then would this amount of work be acceptable (as you can kind of eye it without doing much work)?

When we do weird functions like [tex]y=x^x^2[/tex] I know how to do them by taking the ln of both sides and playing around with log properties, since this is the only kind of question that came up on quizzes, it's the only kind of log derivatives I'm familiar with.

Anyways, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3
    Re: Can someone check if my derivative of this log function is correct? (exam in 6 ho

Is there a reason why the denominator log(2) instead of ln(2)?

ln(x) != log(x), no?

Thanks for the webpage, seems awesomely useful for future reference.

5. Dec 14, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Can someone check if my derivative of this log function is correct? (exam in 6 ho

First line below the derivative states "log(x) is the natural logarithm"...

6. Dec 14, 2009 #5

Oh whoops, sorry.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the timely help :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook