1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone check my answers on these kinematics questions?

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1

dnt

I think im doing them right but they dont match the answers that were supplied to me - i think the

answers may have typos.

1. A bike accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 7.10 m/s over a distance of 35.4 m.

Determine the acceleration of the bike.

my answer: I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad and got a = .712 m/s^2

2. A car traveling at 22.4 m/s skids to a stop in 2.55 s. Determine the skidding distance of the

car (assume uniform acceleration).

my answer: I solved for acceleration first (-8.78 m/s^2) then used d=Vot + 1/2(a)t^2 to get

d = 28.57 m.

3. A bullet is moving at a speed of 367 m/s when it embeds into a lump of moist clay. The bullet

penetrates for a distance of 0.0621 m. Determine the deceleration of the bullet when moving into

the clay.

my answer: I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad and got a = -1.08 x 10^6 m/s. (my issue

here is that the answer should be negative, not positive. right?)

4. A dragster accelerates to a speed of 112 m/s over a distance of 398 m. Determine the

acceleration of the dragster.

my answer: Once again I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad (with Vo = 0; at least I assume

that is true) and got a = 15.76 m/s^2.

I think my equations and answers are right but if not, can someone help me out and correct me where I have made mistakes.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    The reasoning to all of your answers makes sense, I did not check the actuak numeric values to the answers though.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3

dnt

can someone else check the answers to make sure they are correct? thanks.

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

#1, you got it right.
    #2, wrong a little bit, it's exactly : d = 28.56 m (not d = 28.57 m). But 0.01 m would be negligible.
    #3 is correct exept that it should be a = -1.08 x 106 m/s2, (not -1.08 x 106 m/s) :).
    #4 is also correct.
    Viet Dao,

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5

dnt

thanks viet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?