Calculating Impact Speed of Asteroid on Earth - Neglecting Atmospheric Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to finding the speed at which an asteroid will hit the Earth's surface, neglecting friction with the atmosphere. The equation v^2=u^2+2as is mentioned, but it is pointed out that the gravitational force is not constant in this situation. Instead, it is suggested to use another approach, such as finding the final velocity, to solve the problem.
ninjagowoowoo
Q:
A NASA satellite has just observed an asteroid that is on a collision course with the Earth. The asteroid has an estimated mass, based on its size, of 4.85×10^9 kg. It is approaching the Earth on a head-on course with a velocity of 593 m/s relative to the Earth and is now 4.85×10^6 km away. With what speed will it hit the Earth's surface, neglecting friction with the atmosphere?

I found g using (mass of earth)(mass of sat)/(r^2)
of course since x = 4.85×10^6 km = 4.85×10^9 m
so g=
(5.98e24)/(4.85e9) <--since one of the r's cancels out with the mass of sat
then i used v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax
using g as a and everything else is pretty explanitory.

Where'd I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
.. i forgot the G in the equation... but yeah it's still wrong..

Last edited:
You can use the equation v^2=u^2+2as, if "a" is constant. When we usually use this forumla (ex: projectile motion),we assume the value of g to be fairly constant.

In this case, the gravitational force is not constant, and is varying with distance. So you cannot use the forumla v^2=u^2 + 2as.

Ill give you a hint. There is another way (a much easier one) you should approach the problem with. What do you usually use when you want to find final velocities?
(Example, an object is dropped at a height h.What is its velocity when it reaches the ground?)

1. What does it mean to have someone check my work?

Having someone check your work means having another person review and analyze your work for accuracy, completeness, and quality. This can involve proofreading, fact-checking, or providing feedback on your ideas and conclusions.

2. Why is it important to have someone check my work?

Having someone check your work can help identify any errors or weaknesses in your work that you may have missed. It also provides an opportunity for constructive criticism and improvement, leading to a more polished and accurate final product.

3. Who should I ask to check my work?

Ideally, you should ask someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter of your work. This could be a colleague, a mentor, or a subject matter expert. It is important to choose someone who you trust to provide honest and constructive feedback.

4. What should I provide when asking someone to check my work?

When asking someone to check your work, it is important to provide them with all the necessary materials, such as your draft or notes, any relevant sources or references, and specific areas or questions you would like them to focus on. This will help them provide more targeted and helpful feedback.

5. How should I handle constructive criticism from someone checking my work?

Constructive criticism is an important part of the process of having someone check your work. It is important to remain open-minded and to listen to the feedback given. Take note of any suggestions for improvement, and use them to make necessary revisions and improvements to your work.