Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Can someone explain to me how the magnetizer works in a space shuttle to convert

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    parahydrogen in to the orthohydrogen??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Shuttle does not have a magnetizer that "converts parahydrogen to orthohydrogen".

I assume you are referring to a certain product that purports to boost a vehicle's fuel economy. I will not give the web sites that hawk this piece of junk the light of day. A couple of points:

1. These web sites refer to a certain engineer who supposedly worked at NASA in the 50s. Nope. NASA is meticulous about its early history, including its predecessor agency, NACA. Google that person's name, restricting the search to NASA pages. Zero hits.

2. These web site cite a certain patent for the device. The US government did indeed issue a patent with that exact number -- on Oct. 20, 1885 to J.L. Wilbur. The patent is for a stock rack.

3. Here a few real ways to enhance your fuel economy: Easy on the gas pedal and on the break. Don't speed. Keep your tires inflated properly and keep your car well-maintained.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

Haha, no I was actually just wondering how they use a magnetic flux to flip the rotation of the H in parahydrogen.

I dont see any change that a magnetic flux would cause in fossil fuel to make it more combustable.

So what method do they use on the shuttles to convert para to ortho?? I read it was a magnetizer.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4
    Re: Can someone explain to me how the magnetizer works in a space shuttle to convert.

I found a website that cites patent number 3228868. This patent was issued January 11, 1966 to S.L. Ruskin and does mention "conversion of parahydrogen to orthohydrogen".

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Can someone explain to me how the magnetizer works in a space shuttle to convert.

I'd bet there is no such thing on the Shuttle. I worked on Centaur (LH2 upper stage) for 8 years, and they didn't have such a thing. As far as I'm aware, the energy value of parahydrogen is no different than ortho, so there's no benefit in converting it. The other possibility is that it converts almost instantly as the LH2 is heated in the HX as it goes through the engine bell.

7. May 16, 2011 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

Besides, everybody knows that using the magnetizer on the Shuttle during flight interferes with keeping the flux capacitor adjusted correctly so the craft doesn't go back in time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?