Can someone explain to me the wave theory and quantum theory.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Quantum Theory and Wave Theory, with one person expressing confusion on how they correspond to each other. The topic then shifts to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory, which suggests that a particle does not have properties until it is observed or measured. This raises questions about how this theory can be tested and the implications of Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment. The person also mentions their self-education on the subject and shares a resource for further understanding.
zackness123
Basically I have looked up both out of curiosity and it just flew right over my head. I have a general understanding of the Quantum Theory (I need some understanding on the wave theory) but I can't figure out how they correspond with each other. Is the Quantum theory just a way of explaining everything in fine detail that the wave theory cannot?

Also, off topic but I have another question about Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory. Which he basically says that a particle cannot exist or even have properties until observed or measured. How would you even be able to test this theory? If it was plausible then once something is observed or measured it gains properties, so using his Schrodinger's Cat idea the cat would be both half alive and half dead in the box until someone opened the box and then the cat would be alive or dead but wouldn't the cat be alive or dead before you opened the box? Or is this just a explanation that has the least amount of assumptions saying the cat is half alive and half dead then gives makes you half right regardless of the outcome (unless the cat is actually half alive and half dead haha then you have really discovered something).

Sorry if I have a completely off centered idea on the whole quantum theory I am self educating myself on the subject so it will take many many questions until I can grasp the concept as a physics major would. Thanks for the help =)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the wave theory?

The wave theory, also known as wave mechanics, is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It states that particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons have both particle and wave-like properties, and their motion can be described by a wave function.

2. What is the quantum theory?

The quantum theory, also known as quantum mechanics, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It states that energy and matter exist in discrete packets called quanta, and the behavior of these quanta is governed by probabilistic laws rather than deterministic laws.

3. How are the wave theory and quantum theory related?

The wave theory and quantum theory are closely related as they both describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. The wave theory provides a mathematical description of the wave-like properties of particles, while the quantum theory explains how these particles behave and interact with each other.

4. What are some real-world applications of the wave theory and quantum theory?

The wave theory and quantum theory have numerous applications in modern technology, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computers. They are also used in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and telecommunications.

5. Is there any evidence to support the wave theory and quantum theory?

Yes, there is a vast amount of experimental evidence that supports the wave theory and quantum theory. Numerous experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the photoelectric effect, have provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter and energy, which is a fundamental concept in both theories.