1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain?

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    How do you set up equations for sum of forces in the x and y directions? I can do the y when it is only moving in the x direction, but I don't know how to set up the x equation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course, you can do the "y direction when it is only moving in the x direction" because that's trivial! I'm not sure what you really meant.

Normally one starts with "movement in a line" where we only have to worry about one direction. If something is moving on the x-axis with a force in the x-direction then vx= at+ v0 and x= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0.

Now you have motion in the plane (or 3 dimensions with x, y, z) so you have to separate everything into x, y, z components. If you are given "initial velocity" or "force vector" as length and direction, then you need to use trigonometry to decompose into x and y components. For example if the problem says "the initial speed is 20m/s at a direction 30 degrees above the x-axis, draw a picture showing a line at 30 degrees above the x-axis. Mark off a "length" of 20 on that line and draw a perependicular from that point to the x-axis. You see a right triangle with hypotenuse of length 20, "near side" along the x-axis (so its length is x), and "opposite side" parallel to the y-axis (so its length is y). Remembering that "sine" is defined as "opposite over hypotenus", sin(30)= y/20 or y= 20sin(30). Remembering that "cosine" is defined as "near side over hypotenuse", cos(30)= x/20 or x= 30 sin (30).
    Once you have those components, you can just work with "x" and "y" separately- that's the nice thing about using components.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?