Calculating Tension: A Step-by-Step Guide | Ta and Tb Homework Problem

• Thread starter Nanart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension of both Ta and Tb in a picture that is not to scale. The person has tried to solve the question using moments and has found the values of Ta and Tb to be 449.167 and 60.83, respectively. They are unsure if their solution is correct and are seeking confirmation.
Nanart

Homework Statement

Heres the question:
Tension.jpg

The picture is not to scale
I am suppose to find the tension of both Ta and Tb

I have posted this question several time on different sites and no one seems to be able to answer it for me...If you can show me the process in doing this question I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be easy to find the total of the two tensions - the force necessary to hold the whole thing up.

Finding one of them independently should be possible using moments (torques) about some cleverly chosen point. My guess would be to use the point where the right hand rope is attached.

I tried the question and this is what I got:
(490)(.55)=(Ta)(.60)
269.5=(Ta)(.60)
269.5/.60=Ta
Ta=449.167

Tb=490-449.167
Tb=40.83+20
Tb=60.83

So
Ta=449.167
Tb=60.83

Im not sure if I am right...what do you think

Agree!

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in opposite directions, causing it to become stretched or pulled. It is a type of stress that occurs when forces act to stretch an object.

2. How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the object.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension in everyday life include a stretched rubber band, a tightrope being walked on, or a tug-of-war rope being pulled by two teams.

4. How is tension related to other forces?

Tension is often related to other forces, such as compression and torsion. These forces work together to create balance and stability in structures and objects.

5. How can someone find tension in a real-world scenario?

To find tension in a real-world scenario, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object and use the formula T = F * L to calculate the tension. It is important to consider the direction and magnitude of the forces when determining the tension.