Convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1: Integer Formula and Integration Explained"

• Thread starter egwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about finding the convergence of the series ∑2^(1/n)-1, and the speaker suggests using the integer formula to make it easier. However, they are having trouble finding the integer for this series. Another speaker suggests using the full expansion of (1+x)^p, which is valid for all p and |x|<1. The conversation ends with a possible solution for the convergence of the series.
egwin
Hello,
I want to check convergence for the following series:
∑2^(1/n)-1
so that's the n'th root of two minus one, for n going to positive infinity

Now all possible formulas i know come out inconclusive,
so the only formula i can think of is the integer formula, now i thought
to make things easier to just integrate 2^(1/n) and if this series proves to be convergent then that proves the convergency (as it is always "1" larger than the other one).

Now as i am seem to be a complete idiot i cannot even find the integer for this one.

Can someone help me?

Sorry if my English is not so good.

Thank you in advance,
Egwin.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the expansion:

[tex] (1+x)^p = 1 +p x + O(p^2) [/tex]

What happens when x=1 and p=1/n is very small?

thanks

i didnt really know what you meant,

but i have the solution now,
if you're interested, it's in the attachment.

egwin.

Attachments

• series.doc
    29 KB · Views: 266
hello status x,

in your expansion /x/ should be <1
does it still work for x=1 then?

The full expansion is:

[tex](1+x)^p=1+px+\frac{p(p-1)}{2!} x^2 + \frac{p(p-1)(p-2)}{3!} x^3 + ...[/tex]

which is valid for all p, all |x|<1. I made a mistake before, the second term is actually still O(p) as p->0. For p very small, we can approximate [itex]p-n \approx -n[/itex], so:

[tex](1+x)^p \approx 1+px(1+\frac{-1}{2} x + \frac{2\cdot 1}{3!} x^2 + ...)[/tex]

[tex] =1+px(1-\frac{1}{2} x + \frac{1}{3} x^2 + ...)[/tex]

with x=1 (or, more accurately, taking the limit as x->1, since, as you pointed out, the series doesn't strictly converge at x=1), the term in parantheses converges to some number (ln(2) I think), so we still get:

[tex]2^p \rightarrow 1+Cp[/tex] as [itex]p \rightarrow 0[/itex]

for some constant C, or in other words:

[tex]2^{1/n}-1 \rightarrow \frac{C}{n}[/tex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

Since the sum of 1/n diverges, this implies the sum of 2^(1/n)-1 does as well. I think this is all right, but there are some iffy arguments, and the method you posted is probably easier.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1?

The formula for the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1 is given by lim(n→∞) ∑2^(1/n)-1 = 1. This means that as n approaches infinity, the sum of 2^(1/n)-1 will converge to a limit of 1.

2. How is integration related to the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1?

Integration is used to calculate the sum of the terms in the series ∑2^(1/n)-1. The integral of 2^(1/n) is ln(2)/n, so the sum can be written as ∑ln(2)/n - 1. By using integration, we can determine the sum of the series as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of the integer formula in the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1?

The integer formula plays a crucial role in determining the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1. It states that if n is an integer, then the sum of 2^(1/n)-1 will always equal 1. This is because when n is an integer, the series becomes ∑2^0-1, which is equal to 0. Therefore, the integer formula allows us to determine the convergence of the series for specific values of n.

4. Can the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1 be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1 can be proven using mathematical induction. This method involves first proving the base case (n=1) and then assuming that the formula holds for some arbitrary value of k, and then proving that it also holds for k+1. By repeating this process, we can show that the formula holds for all positive integers, and thus the series converges.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1?

The convergence of ∑2^(1/n)-1 has applications in fields such as finance and economics. It is used in the calculation of compound interest, where the interest rate is constantly changing in small increments. It also has applications in the study of population growth, where the growth rate is continuously changing. Additionally, the convergence of this series is used in computer algorithms and data compression techniques.