Calculating Average Speed: Mary's 10km Run in 40 Minutes Explained

• Thread starter almost__overnow
  • Start date
In summary, it is always helpful to have assistance when conducting experiments, whether it be from a colleague or lab partner. Similarly, when working on a research project, you can seek guidance and support from your mentor or supervisor, as well as other researchers or experts in the field. It is completely acceptable to ask for help in the lab, as collaboration and teamwork are important in scientific research. If you are struggling with data analysis, you can consult with a statistician or data analysis expert, as well as your colleagues or supervisor for guidance. Additionally, you can seek help from a colleague, mentor, or expert in the field when interpreting results to gain a different perspective.
almost__overnow
Mary runs 10 kilometers in 40 minutes. What is her average speed in meters per second?

i don't understand and its only like the 4th day of school.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know what speed is?

do you know how a kilometer is related to a meter?
do you know how a second is related to a minute?

Hi there,

Don't worry, understanding scientific concepts takes time and practice. Let me explain the concept of average speed and how to calculate it.

Average speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

In this case, Mary ran 10 kilometers in 40 minutes. To calculate her average speed, we need to convert both of these values into the same unit. Let's convert 40 minutes into seconds by multiplying it by 60 (since there are 60 seconds in a minute). This gives us 2400 seconds.

Now, we can divide the distance (10 kilometers) by the time (2400 seconds) to get Mary's average speed. This gives us 0.0041667 kilometers per second.

However, the question asks for Mary's average speed in meters per second. To convert from kilometers to meters, we need to multiply the value by 1000. So, Mary's average speed in meters per second is 4.1667 meters per second.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of average speed and how to calculate it. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

1. Can someone help me out with my experiment?

Yes, it is always helpful to have another set of eyes and hands when conducting experiments. You can ask a colleague or lab partner for assistance.

2. How can I find someone to help me with my research project?

You can reach out to your mentor or supervisor for guidance and support. You can also ask for assistance from other researchers or experts in the field.

3. Is it okay to ask for help in the lab?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help in the lab. Collaboration and teamwork are important in scientific research, and asking for help can lead to better results.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with my data analysis?

If you are having trouble with data analysis, you can seek assistance from a statistician or data analysis expert. You can also consult with your colleagues or supervisor for guidance.

5. Can someone help me interpret my results?

Absolutely, it is always beneficial to have another perspective when interpreting results. You can consult with a colleague, mentor, or expert in the field for their insights and opinions.