Find the Fake Coin: Weighing Strategy with 27 Coins in 3 Attempts

• Thread starter Some_Student
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help in solving a problem involving finding a fake coin among 27 coins using a simple balance and only being allowed to weigh the coins 3 times. The solution involves dividing the coins into groups and balancing them to narrow down the possibilities.
Some_Student
Can someone help me please? This is urgent

I can seem to figure this question out. I'm always left with 4 coins and 1 try.

Using a simple balance, could you (by weighing) find the one fake (lighter) coin in a group of 27 coins. Here's the catch...you may only weigh the coins 3 times. You may not use anything else. How could this be accomplished?

If you can get the answer as fast as possible that would help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that someone has already done this but i can't seem to find the answer.

1) First make three groups of nine coins. balace two of them.
2) Again make three groups of three.Balance two of them.
3) Now there only three coins left to check out and that's easy. :biggrin:

1. Can you explain the concept of "Can someone help me please? This is"?

The phrase "Can someone help me please? This is" is a common request for assistance or support. It is often used when someone is struggling with a task or problem and needs assistance from someone else.

2. How can I ask for help effectively using "Can someone help me please? This is"?

To ask for help effectively using "Can someone help me please? This is", it is important to be specific about what you need help with and to use a polite and respectful tone. Additionally, it can be helpful to explain why you need help and to express gratitude for any assistance you receive.

3. Is it okay to ask for help using "Can someone help me please? This is" in a professional setting?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to ask for help using "Can someone help me please? This is" in a professional setting. However, it is important to consider the context and tone of your request and to make sure you are not constantly relying on others for help without trying to solve problems on your own first.

4. How can I respond to someone who asks "Can someone help me please? This is"?

If someone asks "Can someone help me please? This is", you can respond by offering to help if you are able to, or by directing them to someone who may be able to assist them. It is important to respond with empathy and understanding, and to avoid shaming or belittling them for needing help.

5. Are there any alternatives to using "Can someone help me please? This is" to ask for assistance?

Yes, there are many alternative phrases one can use to ask for help, such as "Could you lend me a hand?", "I could use some assistance", or "Do you have a moment to help me out?". It is important to choose a phrase that feels comfortable and natural for you, and to adapt your language depending on the context and relationship with the person you are asking for help.