Expert Witnesses Use Physics to Analyze Radar Speed Testimony in Court Case

• Thread starter uicha
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses conflicting testimony in a court case where a police officer claims a car was traveling at 176 km/h based on radar readings, while the driver argues they were only going 88 km/h. Expert witnesses are needed to use physics to justify both positions and visual aids will be used as evidence. The possibility of the Doppler formula being used is brought up, but the person is not familiar with it and asks if there is another way to solve the problem.
uicha
i don't know how to solve it so i need for your help to solve the problem below..thanks
There is conflicting testimony in a court case. a police officer claims that his radar monitor indicated that a car was traveling at 176 km/h(110mi/h). The driver argues that the radar must have recorded the relative velocity because he was only going 88 km/h (55 mi/h). Is it possible that both are telling the truth? could one be lying? prepare scripts for expert witnesses, for both the procecution and the defense, that use physics to justify their positions before the jury. create visual aids to be used as evidence to support the different arguments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this as a starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_radar" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
Try this as a starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_radar" [Broken]
thankyou but I'm not learning about doppler formula yet, so i can't use this fomular to solve it...do you have other way to solve? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose the police car and the suspect's car were heading toward each other at 55 mph. What speed would you expect the radar gun in the police car to indicate?

What can I do if I need help with something?

If you need help with something, you can reach out to friends, family, or colleagues who may be knowledgeable in the subject. You can also seek assistance from professionals or experts in the field.

How can I ask for help effectively?

To ask for help effectively, be clear and specific about what you need assistance with. Provide relevant background information and any resources or materials that may be helpful for the person helping you. Be polite and grateful for their assistance.

What if I am too embarrassed to ask for help?

It is natural to feel embarrassed or vulnerable when asking for help. However, remember that everyone needs help at some point and there is no shame in seeking assistance. You can also try reaching out anonymously through online forums or hotlines.

What if I don't know who to ask for help?

If you are unsure who to ask for help, try doing some research online or asking for recommendations from others. You can also seek support from support groups or community organizations related to the topic you need help with.

Is it okay to ask for help multiple times?

Yes, it is okay to ask for help multiple times. It is important to remember that it may take multiple attempts to find the right solution or to fully understand something. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or further assistance if needed.