Which fuel is the largest polluter when ranked from 1 to 4?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rank
In summary, the problem asks to rank from largest polluter to lowest (1 being highest and 4 being lowest) among diesel, E85, gasoline, and gasoline with 20% ethanol. Diesel is ranked as #1, while the ranking for the remaining fuels is dependent on their oxygenate content and the type of engine they are used in. It is important to carefully document and consider all factors when determining the pollution produced by each fuel.
pyroknife
The problem asks me to rank from largest polluter to lowest (1 being highest and 4 being lowest.) There are diesel, E85, Gasoline, Gasoline with 20% ethanol.

I know diesel will be 1 but then I am kinda confused on which one pollutes more can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a nonsense question. Each kind of fuel generates different kinds and amounts of pollutants. Furthermore, each kind of engine can be equipped with a wide variety of pollution-mitigation devices. You'd have to be much more specific about what you mean.

- Warren

It depends if they are used in equal amounts, with the same vehicle. You can't really claim that one is a higher polluter than the other as it depends so greatly on how they are used, and what they are used for! Where was this question by the way?

pyroknife said:
The problem asks me to rank from largest polluter to lowest (1 being highest and 4 being lowest.) There are diesel, E85, Gasoline, Gasoline with 20% ethanol.

I know diesel will be 1 but then I am kinda confused on which one pollutes more can anyone help me?

You are right about diesel being #1. http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/catalyst/sp04-catalyst-diesel-or-gasoline-fuel-for-thought.html

For the others, you have to consider the effect of the oxygenate (ethanol) on the pollution produced. You can easily rank the remaining fuels based on the oxygenate content. It was once thought that http://sd.water.usgs.gov/nawqa/vocns/mtbe/bib/" but you could argue they produce more pollution and be correct as well. You need to document your answer carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of ranking items or data?

Ranking is a way to organize and order items or data based on a specific criteria or value. It can help identify the most important or relevant items and make comparisons easier.

2. How do you determine the ranking of items?

The ranking of items can be determined by various methods, such as using a numerical score, ranking by alphabetical order, or using a ranking system based on specific criteria. The method chosen will depend on the purpose of the ranking and the type of data being ranked.

3. Can ranking be subjective?

Yes, ranking can be subjective depending on the criteria or values used for ranking. For example, if the ranking is based on personal opinions or preferences, it may vary from person to person. However, using a clear and objective criteria can help minimize subjectivity in ranking.

4. Is it important to rank items in a specific order?

The importance of ranking items in a specific order depends on the purpose of the ranking. In some cases, the order may not matter as long as the items are organized and compared. However, in other cases, the specific order of ranking can be crucial, such as in sports rankings or academic rankings.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when ranking?

Some common mistakes to avoid when ranking include using biased criteria, not considering all relevant factors, and not providing enough context or explanation for the ranking. It is important to carefully choose the criteria and method for ranking and to be transparent about the process to ensure fairness and accuracy.