Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me solve 320+(x*y)=x*z

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    i'm going an analysis for work, but at stuck at this point. it's been a while since i took math or really used it to this extent. i need to know what the equation would look like in order to solve at what x will both sides be equal. need to put it in as an excel formula. thanks all help is greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

Do you have access to a Mac? Its 3D 'grapher' program will show you what this looks like in an instant.
  4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    thanks. that really helped. and unfortunately i don't have a mac.
  5. Oct 26, 2007 #4
    solve? meaning what?
  6. Oct 26, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm going to take a guess here (because it makes the problem a little more interesting) and assume that x, y and z have to be integer positive numbers? In which case look at it like this:

320/x + y = z

Now if y and z are an integer, that means 320/x has to be, so what are the only possible values of x?

While you can determine the possible values of x, you can only determine a linear (with constant) relationship between y and z, not unless there is some sort of other restriction on the problem.
  7. Oct 26, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

Yes it makes it more interesting but I'm pretty sure that the OP wanted nothing more than to make x the subject of the formula. :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?