1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me solve 320+(x*y)=x*z

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    i'm going an analysis for work, but at stuck at this point. it's been a while since i took math or really used it to this extent. i need to know what the equation would look like in order to solve at what x will both sides be equal. need to put it in as an excel formula. thanks all help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2
    rearranging:

x=320/(z-y)

Do you have access to a Mac? Its 3D 'grapher' program will show you what this looks like in an instant.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    thanks. that really helped. and unfortunately i don't have a mac.

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4
    solve? meaning what?

6. Oct 26, 2007 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm going to take a guess here (because it makes the problem a little more interesting) and assume that x, y and z have to be integer positive numbers? In which case look at it like this:

320/x + y = z

Now if y and z are an integer, that means 320/x has to be, so what are the only possible values of x?

While you can determine the possible values of x, you can only determine a linear (with constant) relationship between y and z, not unless there is some sort of other restriction on the problem.

7. Oct 26, 2007 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Yes it makes it more interesting but I'm pretty sure that the OP wanted nothing more than to make x the subject of the formula. :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?