1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me to find the general trend or functional group name for the follow

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    I need to study all of these names for my orgo II exam next week.
    Can someone help me to find the general trend or functional group name for the following attached compounds? I have tried some of them let me know if I made any mistake on these two sheets.

ie. #1 gem-diol (hydrate)
    #5 vicinal diol
    ….and so on

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Geminal diols are two (di-) hydroxyls on the same carbon. Vicinal diols are two hydroxyls on adjacent carbons. Triols have three hydroxyls on different carbons. After that the system is described using numbers as in 1,2-propanediol, 1,3-propane diol and so forth. For larger systems that have many functional groups or a common name, the hydroxyls may not be referred to as diol or triol. In those cases, such as 2,3-dihydroxynaphthalene, the common name is used and the substitution is described in terms such as dihydroxy or trihydroxy and so forth. If many hydroxyls are present, as in polyvinyl alcohol, common names are generally used rather than IUPAC nomenclature. An example pentaerythritol. You cannot deduce the number of hydroxyls unless you are familiar with the compound as C(CH2OH)4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?