Can someone help me with a Statistic problem?

• Thread starter nickelanddimed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, the conversation discusses a survey of n people and their choices between Route A and Route B. The fraction p represents those who choose Route A and the problem involves plotting the 95% confidence bounds and expected value of X as a function of n. The conversation also mentions using the Normal distribution approximation and finding the mean and standard deviation for a given n and p value.
nickelanddimed
Consider a survey of n people asking whether they plan to use Route A or Route B, with an anticipated fraction p choosing Route A.

If p = .30, plot the 95% confidence bounds and the expected value of X as a function of n, for n = 50 to n = 800.

I have no idea where to start or how to work it out..can someone please guide me through the problem.:mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have difficulty believing you have no idea! Have you been sleeping through class?

Strictly speaking, this is a "binomial distribution" problem but with n= 50 to 800, I suspect you are intended to use the Normal distribution approximation.

If p= 0.7, do you know what the mean (expected value) is for given n? Do you know how to find the standard deviation?

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a statistic problem?

The best way to ask for help with a statistic problem is to clearly identify the specific problem you are struggling with and provide any relevant information or data that you have. This will help the person assisting you to understand the problem and provide a more accurate solution.

2. Can someone help me with a statistic problem if I don't understand the underlying concepts?

Yes, someone can still help you with a statistic problem even if you do not fully understand the underlying concepts. However, it is important to communicate this to the person helping you so they can explain the concepts as they provide a solution.

3. Will someone solve the problem for me or guide me through the steps?

This depends on the individual offering to help. Some may prefer to provide a step-by-step guide to solving the problem, while others may solve it for you and explain the steps afterwards. It is important to clarify this with the person offering to help before proceeding.

4. How long does it typically take for someone to help me with a statistic problem?

The time it takes for someone to help you with a statistic problem can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the availability of the person offering to help. It is best to communicate your timeline and any deadlines you have to the person helping you.

5. Is it better to seek help from a tutor or ask for help online?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and learning style. Tutors can provide one-on-one assistance and personalized instruction, while asking for help online allows you to get a variety of perspectives and solutions from different individuals. It may be beneficial to try both options and see which works best for you.