1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with a Statistic problem?

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Consider a survey of n people asking whether they plan to use Route A or Route B, with an anticipated fraction p choosing Route A.

If p = .30, plot the 95% confidence bounds and the expected value of X as a function of n, for n = 50 to n = 800.

I have no idea where to start or how to work it out..can someone please guide me through the problem.:mad:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have difficulty believing you have no idea! Have you been sleeping through class?

Strictly speaking, this is a "binomial distribution" problem but with n= 50 to 800, I suspect you are intended to use the Normal distribution approximation.

If p= 0.7, do you know what the mean (expected value) is for given n? Do you know how to find the standard deviation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?