1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with Equilibirum?

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I don't understand how to do equilibrium problems. I don't know how to set them up and where to start. here is an example. Can anyone please help?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform thin rod of length 0.50m and mass 4.0 kg can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center. The rod is at rest when a 3.0g bullet traveling in the rotation plane is fired into one end of the bullet's path makes angle = 60.0 degrees with the rod. If the bullet lodges into the and the angular velocity of the rod is 10 rad/s immediately after the collision, what is the bullet's speed just before impact.

2. Relevant equations

1/2mv^2=1/2Iw^2
    I=1/12ML^2

3. The attempt at a solution

K-initial=K-final

1/2mv^2=1/2Iw^2

solve for v>>>>

v=sq. root[Iw^2/m]

v=sq. root[(1/12*ML^2)w^2/m]

v=sq.root.[(1/12*4.003*.50^2)*10^2/.003]

v=52.7m/s

The answer is 1.3*10^3m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF jinman,

The collision isn't elastic and therefore kinetic energy isn't conserved. What is always conserved?

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is not an equilibrium problem (not sure what you mean by that, anyway).

I assume the bullet lodges itself in the rod, making this a perfectly inelastic collision. Kinetic energy is not conserved. But something else is. What?

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4
    I don't know why i put Equilibrium. It must be momentum.

P=P

mv=Iw??

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Don't mix up linear momentum (p) with angular momentum (Iw). In this case, only one of them is conserved. Which one?

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    I would say linear.

m1v1=m2v2

v1=m2(wr)/m1

v1=4.003(10*.25)/ .003

v1*sin 60=2888.91m/s???

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7

Doc Al

No, linear momentum is not conserved. I assume the rod is restrained by some fixed axis to only rotate about its center. That axis exerts a force on the rod, thus linear momentum is not conserved.

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
    Ok.

I1w1=I2w2

w1=I2w2/I1

OK so I have to find the angular velocity of the bullet before the collision? How can i find the Inertia of the bullet?

10. Apr 24, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?