Can someone help me with node voltage analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the node voltage method to find the voltage at point A with respect to ground in a circuit with a voltage source in the middle branch. The author shares their attempt at a solution and asks for verification and guidance. A summary of the steps to solve the problem is also provided.
CL1349

Homework Statement

In the figure, use the node voltage method to find the voltage at point A with respect to ground.

Sorry for the crudely drawn picture.

Homework Equations

Node voltage analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

First I added R3 and R4. Then I tried to find the current equations.

I have I1 - I2 -I34 = 0

then

(30 - VA)/ 82 - (40 - VA)/ 68 - VA/147 = 0 Now, I don't know if this is right. I've only been working simple circuits without a voltage source in the middle branch.

Can someone verify if I've done this right so far? If I haven't, can you push me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume currents flow upwards from batteries.

You have 3 voltages that all equal the voltage Va.

They are:

A: 30 volts minus the voltage across the 82 ohm resistor. I1 * 82

B: 40 volts minus the voltage across the 68 ohm resistor. I2 * 68

C: The total current from the two batteries times the resistance of R3 + R4. (I1 + I2) * 147

So, these voltages are equal to each other.
So, you can say A = B and get an equation involving I1 and I2
and you can say A = C and get another equation involving I1 and I2.

Then solve for these currents and calculate Va.

You seem to be in the right direction. From the way you are assuming current directions though, I34 should be (0-Va)/147. This would give you -Va/147, which you end up subtracting so you should get a +Va/147 in your above equation instead of -Va/147.

1. What is node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltages at different nodes in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law.

2. How is node voltage analysis performed?

To perform node voltage analysis, the circuit is first simplified using basic circuit analysis techniques such as series and parallel resistors. Then, Kirchhoff's Current Law is applied at each node to form a set of equations. These equations are solved simultaneously to determine the node voltages.

3. What are the advantages of using node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis allows for a systematic and efficient way of solving complex circuits. It also provides a better understanding of the voltage distribution in a circuit, which can be useful in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can node voltage analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, node voltage analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage sources are treated as independent variables in the set of equations and are taken into account during the solving process.

5. Are there any limitations to using node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis is most effective for circuits with only resistors and independent voltage sources. It may become more complex and time-consuming when dealing with circuits containing dependent sources or non-linear components.