Can someone help me with relative motion

In summary, the question asks for the velocities of two cars relative to each other. You can solve this using trigonometry and the components of car 2's velocity. It is important to show your own attempt at solving the problem before asking for help.
hockeynicole

Homework Statement

if a car 1 is traveling north at 13m/s
and another car (2) is driving 20 degrees north of west at 7.0m/s

1.What is the velocity of car 1 relative to car 2
2.What is the velocity of car 2 relative to car 1?

i don't understand how to solve this? could someone help, are the relative velocities different?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt...

components of car 2
sin 20 = op/hyp = op/7
y=2.39 North

cos20=x/7
x=6.58 West

then i don't know what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hockeynicole said:

Homework Statement

if a car 1 is traveling north at 13m/s
and another car (2) is driving 20 degrees north of west at 7.0m/s

1.What is the velocity of car 1 relative to car 2
2.What is the velocity of car 2 relative to car 1?

i don't understand how to solve this? could someone help, are the relative velocities different?
Of course we can help you solve the question, but we won't do it for you. You need to show some effort in solving the question yourself before we can help you.

Sure, I can help you with relative motion. Relative motion is the study of how the motion of one object appears to another object that is observing it. In this case, we have two cars, car 1 and car 2, and we want to find the relative velocity between them.

To solve this problem, we first need to define the reference frame. In this case, let's take car 1 as our reference frame. This means that we will be observing the motion of car 2 from the perspective of car 1.

1. To find the velocity of car 1 relative to car 2, we need to subtract the velocity of car 2 from the velocity of car 1. Since car 1 is traveling north at 13m/s, its velocity can be represented as (0,13) where the first number represents the velocity in the x-direction and the second number represents the velocity in the y-direction. Similarly, car 2 is traveling 20 degrees north of west at 7.0m/s, so its velocity can be represented as (-6.58,2.39) where the first number represents the velocity in the x-direction and the second number represents the velocity in the y-direction. Now, to find the relative velocity of car 1 with respect to car 2, we simply subtract the components of car 2 from car 1: (0-(-6.58), 13-2.39) = (6.58, 10.61). Therefore, the relative velocity of car 1 with respect to car 2 is 6.58m/s west and 10.61m/s north.

2. To find the velocity of car 2 relative to car 1, we need to subtract the velocity of car 1 from the velocity of car 2. Since car 2 is traveling at (-6.58,2.39)m/s and car 1 is traveling at (0,13)m/s, the relative velocity of car 2 with respect to car 1 is (-6.58-0, 2.39-13) = (-6.58, -10.61). This means that from the perspective of car 1, car 2 is moving at a velocity of 6.58m/s west and 10.61m/s south.

I hope this helps you understand relative motion better. Remember, the relative velocities will be different

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the movement of an object in relation to another object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and how they appear to move in relation to each other.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion considers the motion of an object in relation to another object, while absolute motion refers to the motion of an object in relation to a fixed reference point, such as the Earth's surface.

3. How do you calculate relative motion?

To calculate relative motion, you need to know the velocities of both objects and their direction of motion. You can then use vector addition or subtraction to determine the relative velocity between the two objects.

4. What is the importance of understanding relative motion?

Understanding relative motion is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in relation to each other, and is crucial for designing and operating various technologies and vehicles.

5. Can you give an example of relative motion?

An example of relative motion is two cars driving on a highway. To a passenger in one car, the other car appears to be moving backwards, but to an observer on the side of the road, both cars are moving forward. This is because the cars have different velocities and directions of motion relative to each other and the observer.