Can someone help me with solving this problem? Kinematics

• Thread starter highschoolbro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: Class/1DKin/u1l6c.cfmIn summary, a 1985 study trained cats to jump and touch a cotton ball in order to study their thigh muscles. One cat was able to jump 2.93 meters off the ground. The problem was to find the cat's hang time and initial and final velocities. By considering the jump as two separate events and using the maximum height reached (2.93 meters) as a reference point, the time and velocities can be calculated using the equations of kinematics.
highschoolbro

Homework Statement

In a 1985 study, cats were trained to jump up and touch a cotton ball in an effort to study their thigh muscles. One cat was able to jump 2.93 meters off the ground.

What is its hang time? In other words, what total time was the cat in the air?
s
What was its initial velocity?
m/s
What was its final velocity?
m/s

Vi and Vf do not equal 0
A = -9.8
D = 2.93 or 5.86
How does this make any sense? Don't I only have two variables (acceleration and displacement) and I need at least three to solve all of the kinematics?

Homework Equations

U1L6a1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used plenty of different equations and can't seem to find anything out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of its jump as two events: the cat jumps up, the cat falls down. What is its velocity at before and after each event?

Hint: you're not going to be able to answer your questions in order...

You know the maximum height the cat has reached - 2.93 m. If it had still some speed at that height it would have risen higher. So you have vf=0 when the displacement is 2.93 m. You can also find the time. Falling back takes the same time.

ehild

This is a great site for 1 Dimensional Kinematics problems on up, it also shows step by step solutions to problems like this and many more: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/

1. How do I approach solving a kinematics problem?

The first step in solving a kinematics problem is to identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, choose an appropriate kinematics equation to use based on the given information. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, involves studying the causes of motion and the resulting effects.

3. What are the key variables in kinematics?

The key variables in kinematics are position, displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These variables describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, change in position, speed, and change in speed, respectively.

4. How do I know which kinematics equation to use?

The kinematics equations are derived from the definitions of the key variables. To determine which equation to use, identify which variables are known and which variable you are solving for. Then, choose the equation that includes those variables and plug in the known values.

5. Can kinematics equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, kinematics equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is constant. However, for non-constant motion, such as when an object is accelerating, other equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, need to be considered.