• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can someone help me with these 2 Euclidean geometry questions?

Poster has been reminded to use the HH Template and show their work

Homework Statement

write the proof

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried 5 times, got nowhere

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Hi Ameer Bux:

Problem 7 is tricky because the figure is not drawn in a manner consistent with the statements about it. You might find it helpful to redraw it so that SB is a diameter of the circle ABC. At least that's how I interpret the text:"SB bisects ABC."

Problem 8 is easier. I suggest you look up
Read about proposition 1.32.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

What do the numbers (1&2) in the diagram indicate? Are all angles labeled 1 supposed to be equal?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi Ameer Bux:

Problem 7 is tricky because the figure is not drawn in a manner consistent with the statements about it. You might find it helpful to redraw it so that SB is a diameter of the circle ABC. At least that's how I interpret the text:"SB bisects ABC."
I think it might mean that line SB bisects angle OBC. Here's a picture drawn to scale assuming that:
geometry.jpg

Last edited:
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
@Ameer Bux I have verified that the figure should look like I drew in the post above with SB bisecting angle ABC. As a hint towards a proof I would remind you that angles on circles that subtend equal arcs are equal.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What do the numbers (1&2) in the diagram indicate? Are all angles labeled 1 supposed to be equal?
Ameer appears to have disappeared, which is annoying enough. But to answer your question, looking at his second picture, I think when he as a 1 and 2 at vertex A that it is a very awkward notation where it would have been much better to call them A1 and A2. Similarly the 1 and 2 at vertex R refer to angles better notated as R1 and R2. So all those 1's and 2's are different. Awful notation in his pictures.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Buzz, do you have an argument for problem 8?
Hi LCKurtz:

Thank you for noting my error. Somehow I read the handwritten question as referring to R1 rather than B1. Sorry for my carelessness. Just another of my senior moments.

And I don't see proposition 1.32 at that link. ??
From the link:
... the term "exterior angle theorem" has been applied to a different result,[1] namely the portion of Proposition 1.32 which states that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the measures of the remote interior angles.​

Regards,
Buzz

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi Buzz. I wasn't trying to point out errors though, I'm really wondering if his Problem 8 is true. So I was hoping you had a proof. I can't figure out a proof and I drew what I consider to be a reasonably accurate figure which leads me to believe it may be false.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi Buzz. I wasn't trying to point out errors though, I'm really wondering if his Problem 8 is true. So I was hoping you had a proof. I can't figure out a proof and I drew what I consider to be a reasonably accurate figure which leads me to believe it may be false.
Maybe I am missing something but it looks quite easy.
I sent details to Buzz in a private conversation, but for some reason it would not let me add you as a recipient. You must be in a higher astral plane. I thought it premature to post what might be a solution to the thread.

@Ameer Bux , what do you know about opposite angles of a quadrilateral whose vertices lie on a circle?

Last edited:

Homework Statement

write the proof

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried 5 times, got nowhere
For the first problem, the theorem which states that equal arcs subtend equal angles on a circle is applicable.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the help. Ive solved both problems. Im going to post the solutions later to this thread. Much appreciated

For the first problem, the theorem which states that equal arcs subtend equal angles on a circle is applicable.
I really have to learn geometry. I look foolish with a math degree without knowing geometry

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You mean like what was mentioned in post #5?

You mean like what was mentioned in post #5?
Yes, I see you had already mentioned it.