1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with these 2 Euclidean geometry questions?

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    • Poster has been reminded to use the HH Template and show their work
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    write the proof

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried 5 times, got nowhere

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2
    Hi Ameer Bux:

Problem 7 is tricky because the figure is not drawn in a manner consistent with the statements about it. You might find it helpful to redraw it so that SB is a diameter of the circle ABC. At least that's how I interpret the text:"SB bisects ABC."

Problem 8 is easier. I suggest you look up
    Read about proposition 1.32.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    What do the numbers (1&2) in the diagram indicate? Are all angles labeled 1 supposed to be equal?

5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it might mean that line SB bisects angle OBC. Here's a picture drawn to scale assuming that:
    geometry.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. Apr 18, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Ameer Bux I have verified that the figure should look like I drew in the post above with SB bisecting angle ABC. As a hint towards a proof I would remind you that angles on circles that subtend equal arcs are equal.

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ameer appears to have disappeared, which is annoying enough. But to answer your question, looking at his second picture, I think when he as a 1 and 2 at vertex A that it is a very awkward notation where it would have been much better to call them A1 and A2. Similarly the 1 and 2 at vertex R refer to angles better notated as R1 and R2. So all those 1's and 2's are different. Awful notation in his pictures.

8. Apr 21, 2016 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Buzz, do you have an argument for problem 8? I don't see it and I have my doubts it is even true. And I don't see proposition 1.32 at that link. ??

9. Apr 22, 2016 #8
    Hi LCKurtz:

Thank you for noting my error. Somehow I read the handwritten question as referring to R1 rather than B1. Sorry for my carelessness. Just another of my senior moments.

From the link:
    ... the term "exterior angle theorem" has been applied to a different result,[1] namely the portion of Proposition 1.32 which states that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the measures of the remote interior angles.​

Regards,
    Buzz

10. Apr 22, 2016 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Buzz. I wasn't trying to point out errors though, I'm really wondering if his Problem 8 is true. So I was hoping you had a proof. I can't figure out a proof and I drew what I consider to be a reasonably accurate figure which leads me to believe it may be false.

11. Apr 23, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe I am missing something but it looks quite easy.
    I sent details to Buzz in a private conversation, but for some reason it would not let me add you as a recipient. You must be in a higher astral plane. I thought it premature to post what might be a solution to the thread.

@Ameer Bux , what do you know about opposite angles of a quadrilateral whose vertices lie on a circle?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  12. Apr 24, 2016 #11
    For the first problem, the theorem which states that equal arcs subtend equal angles on a circle is applicable.

13. Apr 25, 2016 #12
    Hi guys, thanks a lot for the help. Ive solved both problems. Im going to post the solutions later to this thread. Much appreciated

14. Apr 25, 2016 #13
    I really have to learn geometry. I look foolish with a math degree without knowing geometry

15. Apr 25, 2016 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean like what was mentioned in post #5?

16. Apr 25, 2016 #15
    Yes, I see you had already mentioned it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted