Can someone help me with these problems?

• Thread starter thugg
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about two questions involving resolving tensions and using trigonometry to solve for the values. The first question involves equating horizontal and vertical forces and the second question involves using the sine and cosine functions to resolve the tensions into vectors. The process of substitution to solve for either T1 or T2 is also mentioned.
thugg
i can't remember how to do this at all, but can someone just post a simple step by step solution for this? thanks

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2392/ss2mx.jpg

also having trouble with this one

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1146/dfsd4mu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: resolve T1 into horizontal and vertical components. Then equate all the horizontal forces and all the vertical forces.

Q2: let T1 be the tension in the angled rope/string and T2 be the tension in the horizontal rope/string. Use the same strategy as for Q1 to solve for T1 and T2. Hence get coefft of friction

hmm still kinda confused, any chance you could show me step by step how to solve it

like how do you resolve T1 and T2 to get values...like i know the 20 has components of x = 0, and y = -20 right? but how do u get values with the 30 degree angle?

Last edited:
thugg said:
hmm still kinda confused, any chance you could show me step by step how to solve it

like how do you resolve T1 and T2 to get values...like i know the 20 has components of x = 0, and y = -20 right? but how do u get values with the 30 degree angle?

draw out the angles and use trig.

T1+T2=(0,+20)

use the sin and cos function to resolve the two tensions into vectors. you should have 2 sets of equations to solve for T1 or T2, once you know one the other is only a matter of substitution.

1. What kind of problems can you help me with?

As a scientist, I can help you with a wide range of problems, including scientific research, data analysis, experimental design, and problem-solving in various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and more. Just let me know what specific problems you need help with and I will do my best to assist you.

2. Can you help me with my homework or assignments?

Yes, I can help you with your homework or assignments, as long as it falls within my area of expertise. However, please keep in mind that I will not do the work for you, but I can guide you and provide you with resources and explanations to help you understand the material better.

3. How much do you charge for your help?

As a scientist, I am here to help and share my knowledge, so I do not charge for my assistance. However, if you find my help valuable, you can show your appreciation by donating to a scientific research organization of your choice.

4. How long will it take for you to help me with my problems?

The time it takes for me to help you with your problems depends on the complexity of the problem and my availability. If it is a simple problem, I might be able to help you right away. However, if it requires more time and research, it might take longer. I will do my best to assist you as soon as possible.

5. Can I trust your help and advice?

As a scientist, I am committed to providing accurate and reliable information and assistance. I base my help and advice on scientific evidence and knowledge. However, please keep in mind that my help should not replace seeking professional advice in certain situations.