1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with this math puzzle?

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with this math puzzle???

:confused: Can anyone figure this out??? :confused:

If you take the next two numbers in this sequence and multiply them together, what number will you get?

594, 487, 566, 493, 310, 447, ____, ____

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    Wow, that's hard. If you don't figure it out and your teacher or someone tells you will you still post the answer here?

4. May 27, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First thing I would do is figure out how the numbers in this sequence are related, so you can determine the last two numbers.

5. May 27, 2005 #4
    Who would've thought.. :wink:

6. May 27, 2005 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

figured you'd appreciate that... :biggrin:

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  7. May 27, 2005 #6
    Are you sure about those numbers? Seems almost impossible.......

8. May 27, 2005 #7
    I'm thinking the relationship is not one of an arithmetic one or geometric, well that's actually obvious. So there must be some other "trick" to manipulating the numbers that none of us have seen so far.

9. May 27, 2005 #8
    Please..ask someone you know about this problem. Yes, I will post the answer!

10. May 28, 2005 #9
    Hey,

This is probably nothing but interestingly the spaces between the numbers are all prime,

107, 79, 73, 193, 137.

11. May 28, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

"9" is not a prime number

12. May 28, 2005 #11
    I can't really see any relationship here. However, I guess you could say there is a "halfway" type of relationship that I might be picking up.

I'm thinking that maybe the numbers are in sets of 3. this way:
    594 478 566
    493 310 447
    ----------------------------------------------
    392 ??? 388

I have no idea. But, maybe somebody might see something here that I'm not.

Paden Roder

13. May 28, 2005 #12
    it might help if you can tell us what concepts you've learned sofar in the course.

14. May 31, 2005 #13
    I was thinking that perhaps the answer had something to do with the products themselves, rather than the numbers. Notice that the question doesn't ask "what are the next two numbers", but rather "what is the product of the next two numbers". Given that, I think that perhaps the solution lies in finding a relationship between the products.

594 x 487 = 289278
    566 x 493 = 279038
    310 x 447 = 138570
    ? x ? = ?

However I don't note any special relationship between the products. Perhaps someone else will?

15. Jun 1, 2005 #14
    I would probably advise people here to quit wasting time on this, as it is not for any sort of class per se, but rather a (weekly?) competition put out by some sort of RPG-ish gaming website, http://www.neopets.com/games/conundrum.phtml Not that there is anything wrong with doing math recreationally, I just have a hunch that the numbers have significance with respect to the site content, rather than mathematical meaning.

Just my thoughts though.

16. Jun 1, 2005 #15
    yea ive been working on this for a while too. i have no clue, ive worked extensively lol/ but i'm starting to agree more with PRodQuanta.

its weird how the first number in each iss 545,434,maybbe the nexty will be 323

also did it say that this was the order theywere in???? like mayb eyour able to rearange them, but thats doubtful
    my last suggestion is tht there is nopattern and youmight just haveto look around for something on the site you gotit from. just a couple ideas

17. Jun 1, 2005 #16
    yes it is, excpet when neopets releases the answer on thursday i dont thik they r going to give the solution out justthe answer.. whiuch is the two number multipl;ioed tgethor, i would still liek to kow what the two nubers are and how to solve the problem, even after it is over.

but i agree with you though considering it houdl be for homework help, its better notr to waste other peoples time. if anything the entire topic should e moved out of the homework section

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?