• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can someone help me with this question, is very complicated

  • Thread starter Aleksandar
  • Start date
  • #1
10
0
The question says:
Suppose that oil consists of molecules of CH2. This means that 1 mol of oil, consisting of 6.02x10^23 molecules, has a mass of 14g. One mililiter of oil has a mass of of 0.95g. When this much oil is poured on water, it does not spread forever but spreads unti it makes a circular film of area 1.5x10^7 cm^2. How does the fact that the oil does not spread forever support the idea of atoms and molecules? Assuming that the oil slick is one molecule thick, with the molecules touching, and the molecules are spheres, ESTIMATE THE SIZE OF AN OIL MOLECULE.

PLEASE HELP!!! I need answer of the question, as well as how to get to the answer.

Thank you guys in advance
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
7,605
354
Aleksandar said:
The question says:
Suppose that oil consists of molecules of CH2. This means that 1 mol of oil, consisting of 6.02x10^23 molecules, has a mass of 14g. One mililiter of oil has a mass of of 0.95g. When this much oil is poured on water, it does not spread forever but spreads unti it makes a circular film of area 1.5x10^7 cm^2. How does the fact that the oil does not spread forever support the idea of atoms and molecules? Assuming that the oil slick is one molecule thick, with the molecules touching, and the molecules are spheres, ESTIMATE THE SIZE OF AN OIL MOLECULE.

PLEASE HELP!!! I need answer of the question, as well as how to get to the answer.

Thank you guys in advance
How many molecules are in the 1ml oil film? What is the no. of molecules/unit area? What is the area occupied by one molecule?

AM
 
  • #3
10
0
That is the question. I don't know, it wasn't stated in the question.
 
  • #4
Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
7,605
354
Aleksandar said:
That is the question. I don't know, it wasn't stated in the question.
?? You are expected to figure it out! Just ask yourself the first two questions I posed: 1. how many molecules in .95 grams (ie. .95/14 moles)? That is the number of molecules spread over the given area. 2. How many molecules per unit area? (divide the answer in 1. by the area)

AM
 
  • #5
10
0
Well, I got 4.085x10^22 molecules, and when I divided with the area, I got 2.723x10^15. Is that my final answer??
 
  • #6
Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
7,605
354
Aleksandar said:
Well, I got 4.085x10^22 molecules, and when I divided with the area, I got 2.723x10^15. Is that my final answer??
What does your answer mean? You have to actually apply some independent thinking to the question! If that many molecules take up that much area, how much does one take up?

AM
 

Related Threads on Can someone help me with this question, is very complicated

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
762
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
965
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
977
Replies
21
Views
2K
Top