Calculating Work: Doubling and Halving Velocity of a 40 Kg Wagon

• Thread starter nikechristo
  • Start date
In summary: In this case, the initial kinetic energy is 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. To double the velocity, we need to double the kinetic energy, so the work done is 2 * 1/2 * m * (2v)^2 = 4 * 1/2 * m * v^2 = 4 * initial work done. To halve the original velocity, we need to halve the kinetic energy, so the work done is 1/2 * 1/2 * m * (v/2)^2 = 1/4 * 1/2 * m * v^2 = 1/4 * initial work done
nikechristo
This is the question :|

A 40 Kg wagon is moving with a constant horizontal velocity of 10 m/s.
1. How much work must be done to double this velocity?
2. How much work must be done to halve the original velocity?

SOmeone please help me. :|

Physics news on Phys.org
nikechristo said:
This is the question :|

SOmeone please help me. :|

Welcome to the PF, nikechristo. We do not do your work for you here on the PF. You must show your work before we can offer tutorial help. That's why there is a Homework Help posting template (which you deleted) that you should use to post your questions. There is a spot at the end to show your work so far.

So show us how you will approach these problems. What is the definition of work, in terms of forces and other things?

Thanks for your welcome berkeman. :) Sorry for deleting the default template. I'm new to this forum so i didn't know the rules and regulations.

Work is done on an object whenever a force makes something move. This is the definition of work.

The general equation of work done is W = Force applied * distance.

Homework Statement

\

Homework Equations

W = Force applied * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get this question. I need the applied force or the force of friction to solve this question, rite? I don't think there is enough information to solve this, but i may be wrong. Is there a way to find the work done by using the mass and distance?

The work done is the change in kinetic energy.

What does "Can someone help me with this?" mean?

"Can someone help me with this?" is a question that indicates the person is seeking assistance or support for a particular task or problem.

Why do people ask for help?

People ask for help because they may not have the knowledge, skills, or resources to complete a task on their own. Asking for help can also save time and effort, especially when dealing with complex or unfamiliar tasks.

How can someone help me with something?

There are many ways someone can help with a task or problem. They may offer advice or guidance, provide resources or tools, collaborate on the task, or complete the task for you. The type of help needed will depend on the specific task or problem at hand.

Is it okay to ask for help?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help. In fact, asking for help is a sign of strength and self-awareness. It shows that you are willing to learn and open to input from others.

How can I ask for help effectively?

To ask for help effectively, be specific about what you need help with and provide enough context for the person to understand the task or problem. Be respectful and grateful for their assistance, and be open to their suggestions and feedback.