Can someone help solve this problem?

• Thread starter thugg
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the first question, draw the force vectors and identify the relationship between the forces. To solve the second question, use the coeff of friction definition and solve for T1 and T2.
thugg
i can't remember how to do this at all, but can someone just post a simple step by step solution for this? thanks

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2392/ss2mx.jpg

also this one I am having trouble with

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1146/dfsd4mu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's second law, F = ma and isolate the force components.

why don't you start by drawing the force vectors and identifying the relationship between the forces.

it may be easier to draw the vectors on a graph.

yea, I am really not remembering this though lol, just started doing this type of problem

I don't think a graph is necessary though. Just draw the x and y components of each force. Since T2 is already horizontal on the x axis, you don't need to split it up into x and y because it's all x and no y. That, of course, depends on where you draw your axes.

ok, but how exactly do you solve it

Since we're not supposed to make it too easy for you. You should draw T1 as a horizontal part and a vertical part, since you know all the forces add up to zero you should be able to work out what the vertical part of T1 is hence T1 hence the horizontal part of T1 hence T2 end of question

For the second question it is a very similar setup just different angles and forces and all you have to do is know how the coeff of friction is defined. If you do the question with g kept as a symbol you will find it cancels out.

hmm still kinda confused, any chance you could show me step by step how to solve it

like how do you resolve T1 and T2 to get values using components...like i know the 20 has components of x = 0, and y = -20 right? but how do u get values with the 30 degree angle?

1. What steps should I take to solve this problem?

To solve a problem, the first step is to clearly define the problem and identify any underlying causes. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Once a solution is chosen, create a plan and begin implementing it. If the plan is not successful, reassess and try a different approach.

2. How can I find someone to help me solve this problem?

One option is to seek out a mentor or expert in the field who may have experience with similar problems. Additionally, collaborating with others and seeking different perspectives can be helpful. Online forums and communities can also be a resource for finding assistance.

3. How long does it typically take to solve a problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the issue, available resources, and the effectiveness of the chosen solution. Some problems may be solved quickly, while others may require a longer process of trial and error.

4. What should I do if I am unable to find a solution?

If initial attempts at solving the problem are unsuccessful, it may be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. This could mean seeking outside help, conducting further research, or reevaluating the problem and potential solutions. It is also important to not get discouraged and to persevere in finding a solution.

5. How can I prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

After successfully solving a problem, it is important to reflect on the process and identify any factors that may have contributed to the issue. This can help prevent similar problems from occurring in the future. Additionally, continuously learning and seeking new skills and knowledge can also help in preventing and solving future problems.