Is Technology the New Antiques Market?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loans
In summary, this owl lamp is not worth more than $8,900. It is a plain electric lamp and does not appear to be old.
zoobyshoe said:
It's true that some things are worth more than you'd ever guess by looking at them, but, probably because of that, there's a whole psychological drive to overprice things. Which is clearly what the seller in the OP has succumbed to.

The two prices for the two owl oil lamps were the "buy it now", prices, not the lower limit of what the seller will accept in the auction. One has one bid, the other four. These bids are, obviously, less than the "buy it now" price. The seller has set some minimum he will take, and the winner will be the highest bid over the minimum, unless someone is so desperate they'll pay the "buy it now" price.
Being "old' doesn't make something an antique. There are a LOT of old worthless items.

Who made it - are they famous? Is it a rare item in demand? Does it have historical significance to collectors? The stuff listed by the guy in the OP doesn't meet any of these criteria. It's junk. He seems to think if he can't find another like it, it has value. Uhm, no.

No offense to the owl. I love animal stuff. I have a turtle and a deer cast in bronze with tortoise shell like art glass that light up. And I am DAMNED PROUD of them. I also got them for 75% off. They're in my closet because I don't know what to do with them...but they were 75% OFF! And they're bronze. And they're heavy.

Did I mention that they were 75% off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Being "old' doesn't make something an antique. There are a LOT of old worthless items.

Who made it - are they famous? Is it a rare item in demand? Does it have historical significance to collectors? The stuff listed by the guy in the OP doesn't meet any of these criteria. It's junk. He seems to think if he can't find another like it, it has value. Uhm, no.

What did I say that made you think I don't already know all this?

zoobyshoe said:
What did I say that made you think I don't already know all this?
I didn't mean it for you. I was just adding to what you said
there's a whole psychological drive to overprice things. Which is clearly what the seller in the OP has succumbed to

I failed, didn't I?

Evo said:
I didn't mean it for you. I was just adding to what you saidI failed, didn't I?
Well, it had a tone of correction, but I couldn't spot what was being corrected.

The pricing of antiques can be really dodgy. Some Arts and Crafts pieces look pretty mundane, but can bring impressive prices, for instance. The stuff isn't all that old, but is quite collectible.

turbo said:
The pricing of antiques can be really dodgy. Some Arts and Crafts pieces look pretty mundane, but can bring impressive prices, for instance. The stuff isn't all that old, but is quite collectible.
Take it to Antiques Road Show. :tongue:

Evo said:
Take it to Antiques Road Show. :tongue:
That can be a waste of time and energy, too, depending on who is participating. A good friend of mine had agreed to attend and somebody brought in a really minty old Springfield and a rare large bullet mold to match. Frank wanted to interview the guy and have it filmed as a segment for the show, and the producer said "but it's a gun!". Easily the most valuable pairing that session of the show, but that woman wouldn't hear of it because "it's a gun". That was probably the last time that Frank did that show. He was the best judge of 17th-18thC arms that I knew

Frank died of colon cancer about 5 years ago. I cherish the times I had with that old curmudgeon. Once he knew me, he set about educating me WRT antique arms whenever i had him here in Maine to appraise collections. He was very generous with his knowledge. I wish I had known him earlier because such valuable apprenticeships don't come around more than one in a life-time.

Hey. I can make you an uglier owl than THAT for $20K... :biggrin:

<h2>1. What is the current state of the technology antiques market?</h2><p>The technology antiques market is currently experiencing a surge in popularity, with a growing demand for vintage and collectible tech items. This trend is driven by nostalgia, as well as the increasing value of certain technology items as they become rare and obsolete.</p><h2>2. What types of technology items are considered valuable in the antiques market?</h2><p>Some of the most valuable technology items in the antiques market include vintage computers, gaming consoles, cameras, and mobile phones. Other items such as typewriters, calculators, and early versions of popular software and operating systems are also sought after by collectors.</p><h2>3. How do the prices of technology antiques compare to traditional antiques?</h2><p>The prices of technology antiques can vary greatly depending on the rarity and condition of the item. However, in general, technology antiques tend to have a higher price point compared to traditional antiques due to their relatively recent history and the demand from tech enthusiasts.</p><h2>4. Are there any risks involved in collecting technology antiques?</h2><p>As with any type of collecting, there are some risks involved in collecting technology antiques. It is important to thoroughly research the authenticity and condition of the item before making a purchase. Additionally, some technology items may require specialized knowledge or equipment to properly maintain and display.</p><h2>5. Is the technology antiques market expected to continue growing in the future?</h2><p>It is difficult to predict the future of any market, but based on current trends, it is likely that the technology antiques market will continue to grow. As technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, the demand for vintage and collectible tech items is expected to increase, making them even more valuable in the antiques market.</p>

1. What is the current state of the technology antiques market?

The technology antiques market is currently experiencing a surge in popularity, with a growing demand for vintage and collectible tech items. This trend is driven by nostalgia, as well as the increasing value of certain technology items as they become rare and obsolete.

2. What types of technology items are considered valuable in the antiques market?

Some of the most valuable technology items in the antiques market include vintage computers, gaming consoles, cameras, and mobile phones. Other items such as typewriters, calculators, and early versions of popular software and operating systems are also sought after by collectors.

3. How do the prices of technology antiques compare to traditional antiques?

The prices of technology antiques can vary greatly depending on the rarity and condition of the item. However, in general, technology antiques tend to have a higher price point compared to traditional antiques due to their relatively recent history and the demand from tech enthusiasts.

4. Are there any risks involved in collecting technology antiques?

As with any type of collecting, there are some risks involved in collecting technology antiques. It is important to thoroughly research the authenticity and condition of the item before making a purchase. Additionally, some technology items may require specialized knowledge or equipment to properly maintain and display.

5. Is the technology antiques market expected to continue growing in the future?

It is difficult to predict the future of any market, but based on current trends, it is likely that the technology antiques market will continue to grow. As technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, the demand for vintage and collectible tech items is expected to increase, making them even more valuable in the antiques market.