Understanding Divisibility Rules: Proving 4 Does Not Divide n^2 + 5

• Thread starter Instinctlol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement "For all integer n, 4 does NOT divide n2 + 5" using various methods. The first method involves proving that there are no solutions to the equation 4k2+5=4t in integers, the second method involves checking for congruences (mod4), and the third method uses residue classes to show that there is no n for which [n2+5] = [0]. The individual providing the summary questions the use of the residue class method, but the proof is deemed correct as long as all methods used are allowed.
Instinctlol
Prove: For all integer n, 4 does NOT divide n2 + 5

The definition of | means the definition of divide.

348sso9.jpg

I need very thorough correction, down to the last support for every thing. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing more work than you need to.
For case 1, when n = 2k, you have n2 + 5 = (2k)2 + 5 = 4k2 + 5 = 4(k2 + 1) + 1. Clearly 4 | 4(k2 + 1), but it can't also divide 4(k2 + 1) + 1.

For case 2, use a similar argument.

I would state, re the first that from:

4k2+5=4t ,

you may also write:

5=4(t-k2) , for t,k2 integers, which is not possible, i.e.,

5=4x has no solutions in integers (e.g. 4 is not invertible in integers.).

But that is a matter of preference (since I don't know the constraints; what you are or not allowed to work with).

To check possible congruences (mod4) , check the values (mod4) of each of the squares of : 4k, 4k+1,4k+2, 4k+3.

------------------------------

OR:

4|(n2+5) , then n2+5==0(mod4)→

n2==3mod4. But you can check that n2==0,1,2 but not 3 (mod4).

Last edited:
But there is nothing wrong with my proof right?

rather than use "not an integer" arguments, it would be cleaner to stay totally within the integers.

that is, if 4k2+ 5 = 4t

then 5 = 4(t - k2) → 4|5, impossible.

similarly, if 4k2 + 4k + 9 = 4t

then 9 = 4(t - k2 + k) → 4|9, also impossible.

alternate proof # 1:

if 4|n2 + 5, then n2+5 must be even, so n2 must be odd → n is odd.

therefore n = 4k+1 or 4k+3 (all odd numbers are of one of these 2 forms).

(4k+1)2 + 5 = 16k2 + 8k + 6,

if this is divisible by 4, then 16k2 + 8k + 6 = 4t, so

6 = 4(t - 4k2 - 2k) → 4|6.

(4k+3)2 + 5 = 16k2 + 24k + 14, and as before:

16k2 + 24k + 14 = 4t implies 14 = 4(t - 4k2 - 6k),

so that 4|14, a contradiction.

alternate proof #2:

let [a] = the residue class of a mod 4.

if 4|n2 + 5, then [n2 + 5] = [0], so [n2] = [-5] = [3].

but [n2] = [n][n] = [0][0], [1][1],[2][2], or [3][3].

[0][0] = [0] ≠ [3]
[1][1] = [1] ≠ [3]
[2][2] = [4] = [0] ≠ [3]
[3][3] = [9] = [1] ≠ [3],

so there is no n for which [n2] = [3], and so no n for which [n2+5] = [0], so 4 does not divide n2+ 5

why provide 3 proofs, when all you want to know is: is yours OK? hmm...it's a mystery, no? perhaps you think about it for a little bit.

Last edited:
Deveno said:
rather than use "not an integer" arguments, it would be cleaner to stay totally within the integers.

that is, if 4k2+ 5 = 4t

then 5 = 4(t - k2) → 4|5, impossible.

similarly, if 4k2 + 4k + 9 = 4t

then 9 = 4(t - k2 + k) → 4|9, also impossible.

alternate proof # 1:

if 4|n2 + 5, then n2+5 must be even, so n2 must be odd → n is odd.

therefore n = 4k+1 or 4k+3 (all odd numbers are of one of these 2 forms).

(4k+1)2 + 5 = 16k2 + 8k + 6,

if this is divisible by 4, then 16k2 + 8k + 6 = 4t, so

6 = 4(t - 4k2 - 2k) → 4|6.

(4k+3)2 + 5 = 16k2 + 24k + 14, and as before:

16k2 + 24k + 14 = 4t implies 14 = 4(t - 4k2 - 6k),

so that 4|14, a contradiction.

why provide 3 proofs, when all you want to know is: is yours OK? hmm...it's a mystery, no? perhaps you think about it for a little bit.

I like the way you did the first two proofs, they look simple and to the point. I understand that there are many ways to do the same proof and it is always better to be able to write proofs efficiently because not all proofs are always this short.

I am reluctant to use your mod proof because we have not learned it that way. I have an exam coming up and I want to be able to just follow the professors style to get full points :tongue:

Instinctlol said:
I like the way you did the first two proofs, they look simple and to the point. I understand that there are many ways to do the same proof and it is always better to be able to write proofs efficiently because not all proofs are always this short.

I am reluctant to use your mod proof because we have not learned it that way. I have an exam coming up and I want to be able to just follow the professors style to get full points :tongue:

that is a fair point.. professors usually appreciate it when students don't "get ahead of themselves" and use theorems/concepts that haven't been covered yet.

that said, there's no harm in "looking ahead" and understanding that what you have done can be viewed an alternate way. it's like looking at two views of a 3-D object: one from the front, and one from the side. neither view is "wrong", but they are certainly different.

Proof seems correct; only thing is I don't know what you

are allowed to use (mostly: can you bring up rationals, or do you have to stay within

the integers?). If everything your using is allowed, it seems correct to me.

1. What is the purpose of having someone look at my proof?

The purpose of having someone look at your proof is to get feedback and validation from an outside source. This can help identify any errors or flaws in your reasoning and improve the overall quality of your proof.

2. How can I find someone to look at my proof?

There are several ways to find someone to look at your proof. You can reach out to colleagues in your field, attend conferences or seminars, or join online communities or forums where you can share your work and receive feedback.

3. What should I include when asking someone to look at my proof?

When asking someone to look at your proof, it is important to provide them with all the necessary information, such as the background and context of your research, the specific problem you are addressing, and your proposed solution. It may also be helpful to include any relevant data or diagrams.

4. How long does it usually take for someone to review a proof?

The time it takes for someone to review a proof can vary depending on the complexity and length of the proof, as well as the availability of the person you are asking. It is best to ask for feedback well in advance of any deadlines to allow for enough time for a thorough review.

5. What should I do if someone finds errors in my proof?

If someone finds errors in your proof, it is important to carefully review their feedback and make necessary revisions. It may also be helpful to get a second opinion from another expert in the field. It is important to acknowledge any mistakes and make corrections in order to improve the accuracy and credibility of your work.