Can someone please explain how to solve this IVP?

In summary, the given equations are x' = -5x-y and y' = 4x-y. Using the method of undetermined coefficients, the solutions are x = ae^(-3t) + bte^(-3t) and y = -2bte^(-3t) + 2ae^(-3t) + be^(-3t). When solving for the constants a and b, we get a = 0 and b = 0. The final solutions are x = e^(-3t+3) - te^(-3+3) and y = -e^(-3+t) + 2te^(-3+3). The "+3" in the exponents
marchingt9
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum
x' =-5x-y
y' =4x-y

I got
x=ae^-3t+bte^-3t
y=-2bte^-3t+2ae^-3t+be^-3t
a=0 b=0

The answer is
x=e^(-3t+3)-te^(-3+3)
y=-e^(-3+t)+2te^(-3+3)
I don't understand where the +3 comes from

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the initial conditions on x and y?

[itex]e^{-3t+ 3}= (e^3)e^{-3t}[/itex]. The "+ 3" just gives a specific value to your constant "a".

marchingt9 said:
x' =-5x-y
y' =4x-y

I got
x=ae^-3t+bte^-3t
y=-2bte^-3t+2ae^-3t+be^-3t
a=0 b=0

The answer is
x=e^(-3t+3)-te^(-3+3)
y=-e^(-3+t)+2te^(-3+3)
I don't understand where the +3 comes from

This is not an IVP, because you have not given any initial values. That is what the "IV" stands for.

1. How do I solve an IVP?

Solving an IVP (Initial Value Problem) involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies a set of initial conditions. This can be done using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a differential equation solver. It is important to understand the given equation and the initial conditions before attempting to solve the IVP.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a solution that satisfies a set of initial conditions. These conditions typically include the value of the function at a specific point, as well as the slope or derivative of the function at that point. Solving an IVP allows us to find the specific solution to the given differential equation.

3. What are some common methods for solving an IVP?

Some common methods for solving an IVP include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using a differential equation solver. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of differential equations. It is important to have a good understanding of these methods and when to use them.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while solving an IVP?

If you encounter difficulties while solving an IVP, it is important to review the initial conditions and make sure you understand the given differential equation. You can also try using a different method or seeking help from a tutor or fellow scientist. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you solve the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator or software to solve an IVP?

Yes, you can use a calculator or a differential equation solver software to solve an IVP. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods involved in solving the IVP rather than solely relying on technology. This will help you better understand the concept and apply it to more complex problems in the future.