Can someone balance these weights?

• Thread starter chemistrymole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation discusses balancing weights by connecting them at different points and adjusting the distances from the fulcrum. It is suggested to simplify the drawing and replace the bottom arm with a 2kg weight hanging from E. The suspension points do not need to be midway between two weights. It is also mentioned that the conversation should be moved to the homework forum. The solution involves attaching the first two arms at H and the third arm at I, with the next higher arm having a mass of 2 and being attached at N with the lower arms at O. However, the person asking for help does not fully understand the solution.
chemistrymole
Can someone please help balance these weights?

I would say the bottom and second to bottom connect as I circled them so they are balanced, but it gets really confusing after this.

IMG_0125_zpsd09c21f4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying the drawing at each step. For example replace the bottom arm with a 2kg weight hanging from E on the next one up.

Remember that the suspension points need not be mid way between two weights. eg 4*1=2*2

CWatters said:
Try simplifying the drawing at each step. For example replace the bottom arm with a 2kg weight hanging from E on the next one up.

Remember that the suspension points need not be mid way between two weights. eg 4*1=2*2

I have tried this no luck. The bottom connects the way in the pick I did which balances out the 2 kg with 2 kg. Then from there I just seem to not figure it out.

chemistrymole said:
I have tried this no luck. The bottom connects the way in the pick I did which balances out the 2 kg with 2 kg. Then from there I just seem to not figure it out.

The string that supports the second one up is carrying the entire weight of the first and the second one. How much is that? Where on the third does that need to connect to keep the third balanced? Why isn't this in the homework forum?

Nugatory said:
The string that supports the second one up is carrying the entire weight of the first and the second one. How much is that? Where on the third does that need to connect to keep the third balanced? Why isn't this in the homework forum?

Thank you for trying to explain. I have tried that method.

I am a new user. I saw physics and posted in it. I did not realize there was a homework section. Can you please move my thread there if possible?

Okay, the first has two equal masses of "1" so they balance at the center point, B. Now that is a total mass of "2" and the second also has "2" so, yes, in order that both arms balance at F the two weight must be equally spaced from F so the first arm must be attached at E and the two arm system has a weight 4.

In order that these two arms balance the "2" on the third arm, that "2" must be twice as far from the fulcrum as two arms being attached. That means that the fulcrum (where the third arm will be attached to the next above) cannot be at the center point, J. Perhaps you were thinking that each arm must be attached to the next higher at its center. If so that was your error. In order that the third arm balance the first two arms must be attached at H and the three arms must be attached to the next higher at I and has total mass "6".

The next higher arm has a mass of "2" and we must attach the first three arms and hook to the next higher arm so that the "moment" on each side of the fulcrum is the same. That is, the mass times the distance from the fulcrum must be the same on each side of the fulcrum. The given "2" is at the far left end and we want it to be three times as far from the fulcrum as the three attached arms (because 2(3)= 1(6)). We an do that by making N the fulcrum and attaching the lower arms at O.

Do you get the idea?

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, the first has two equal masses of "1" so they balance at the center point, B. Now that is a total mass of "2" and the second also has "2" so, yes, in order that both arms balance at F the two weight must be equally spaced from F so the first arm must be attached at E and the two arm system has a weight 4.

In order that these two arms balance the "2" on the third arm, that "2" must be twice as far from the fulcrum as two arms being attached. That means that the fulcrum (where the third arm will be attached to the next above) cannot be at the center point, J. Perhaps you were thinking that each arm must be attached to the next higher at its center. If so that was your error. In order that the third arm balance the first two arms must be attached at H and the three arms must be attached to the next higher at I and has total mass "6".

The next higher arm has a mass of "2" and we must attach the first three arms and hook to the next higher arm so that the "moment" on each side of the fulcrum is the same. That is, the mass times the distance from the fulcrum must be the same on each side of the fulcrum. The given "2" is at the far left end and we want it to be three times as far from the fulcrum as the three attached arms (because 2(3)= 1(6)). We an do that by making N the fulcrum and attaching the lower arms at O.

Do you get the idea?

No I don't sorry. You say to connect first two to third at H. Which letter to which letter would be more helpful.

This is what I have so far

IMG_0126_zps7e54866f.jpg

Looks right to me.

1. Can someone really balance these weights?

Yes, it is possible for someone to balance weights. Balancing weights involves finding the center of mass for each weight and aligning them so that they are evenly distributed.

2. What factors affect one's ability to balance weights?

The weight and shape of the objects, as well as the surface they are being balanced on, can all affect one's ability to balance weights. The skill, strength, and coordination of the individual also play a role.

3. Is there a specific technique for balancing weights?

Yes, there are various techniques for balancing weights, such as using a fulcrum or pivot point, adjusting the positioning of the weights, or utilizing counterweights. The best technique will depend on the specific weights and situation.

4. Can anyone learn to balance weights?

Yes, balancing weights is a skill that can be learned with practice and patience. It may come more naturally to some individuals, but with determination and the right techniques, anyone can learn to balance weights.

5. Are there any real-world applications for balancing weights?

Yes, balancing weights is important in many industries, such as construction, engineering, and sports. It is also a common practice in physics experiments and demonstrations to show concepts like gravity and center of mass.