1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone please help me? I have a pretty simple physics problem.

1. Aug 25, 2007 #1
    I know this is probably going to seem like a fairly simply physics problem that I should be able to solve, however, I've been doing physics homework for the past 5 hours and my brain feels completely fried. If someone could help me get started on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it (it's my very last problem). So here it is:

A boat moves through the water of a river at 8 m/s relative to the water, regardless of the boat's direction. If the water in the river is flowing at 1.0 m/s, how long does it take the boat to make a round trip consisting of a 175 m displacement downstream followed by a 175 m displacement upstream?

At first I tried using the kinematic equation x-xo=vit+1/2at2 and solving for t. I assumed the acceleration was 1.0 one way and -1.0 the other way. However, the second equation (using -1.0 as the acceleration) doesn't give me a time I can use. I was planning on adding the two times together for the answer but now that isn't going to work. I'm pretty sure my brain is just fried and I should try to solve it another way, but at this moment I haven't a clue on how to get started.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2
    nevermind, i figured it out.

i must sound like i'm retarded lol.
  4. Aug 25, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no acceleration in the problem. So use time=distance/velocity. Which is the same thing as your kinematic equation with a=0. Simply add the velocity of the boat to the velocity of the river (+1 downstream and -1 upstream). It's simpler than you think.
  5. Aug 25, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the help, Dick.

You're right. I was thinking it was just as complicated as the rest of the problems I've been doing all day.

I got 44.4 seconds.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?