Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can someone PLEASE help me with this problem?

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Can someone PLEASE help me with this problem??

In a football game a kicker attempts a field goal. The ball remains in contact with the kicker's foot for 0.0300 s, during which time it experiences an acceleration of 229 m/s2. The ball is launched at an angle of 50.3 ° above the ground. Determine the (a) horizontal and (b) vertical components of the launch velocity.

I figured out that Ax=146.28 and Ay= 176.19, but Im stuck after that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    Re: Can someone PLEASE help me with this problem??

well you did the hard part...

I would've found the velocity first then broken it down into components, but I suppose your way is just as good....

you got t = .03 s
    you got Ax = 146.28 and Ay = 176.19

well, Velocity = (acceleration) X (time)

so find Vx and Vy

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3

I think I got it. Thanks.

But now I need help with...

A rocket is fired at a speed of 63.0 m/s from ground level, at an angle of 37.0 ° above the horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 18.1-m high wall, which is located 32.0 m away. The rocket attains its launch speed in a negligibly short period of time, after which its engines shut down and the rocket coasts. By how much does the rocket clear the top of the wall?

I got Vox=50.31 and Voy=37.91. And I got, at 32 m the time is t=.64s. Then y=22.26. Then subtract 18.1 and I got 4.16.

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

.....well in that case I dont think u need help at all, cuz I got the same answer! good job!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook